About the Organization
Canal Alliance exists to break the generational cycle of poverty for Latino immigrants and their families by lifting barriers to their success.
Every day, we work to educate, empower and support motivated immigrants to better meet their needs—from feeding their families and advancing their education, to learning English and becoming American citizens. Canal Alliance strives for a trauma-informed approach and inclusive culture. We invest in high quality services, professional development and work-life balance.
The ESL Teacher provides English classes to adult English language learners, and ensures students gain the skills necessary to advance to the next level. They integrate relevant teaching practices in grammar, writing, listening-speaking and reading. They are also a passionate believer in culturally responsive teaching and the power of education to improve the lives of immigrants and their families.
This position is online on Zoom in the evenings Monday- Thursday 7:45pm-10pm for 13-week long trimesters. We are hiring for Summer 2023 trimester with the hope that the teacher would continue in following trimesters. This role would start on May 8, 2023.
We are only recruiting candidates based in California. The classes are currently online with the possibility of going hybrid in fall of 2023. The candidate preferably lives in commuting distance to our organization in San Rafael, CA and has online teaching skills.
• Provide a nurturing, supportive, and positive learning environment, with high expectations for students
• Prepare and deliver lesson plans in line with Communicative Language and Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Teaching
• Understand and scaffold materials for students who have limited or interrupted formal education (SLIFE)
• Have respect for program, team and community
• Build positive and respectful relationships with students
• Communicate consistently and assist in identifying needs of students
• Maintain accurate records of student attendance
• Administer and grade assessments throughout the semester
• Monitor student progress
• Modify instruction based on student data
• Attend and participate in one professional development meeting per semester
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Master’s Degree in TESOL or TESOL certification preferred (experience will be considered without master's degree or certificate, but if hired, candidates need to enroll in a TESOL certificate or master's program)
• Minimum 1-year adult ESL teaching experience or 2+ years teaching ELD
• Experience working with low-income and/or immigrant populations
Qualifications- Skills and Knowledge
• Ability to provide effective and engaging ESL instruction
• Ability to elicit learner knowledge, grade language appropriate to level, and minimize teacher talk
• Knowledge and understanding of assessment tools
• Ability to track and analyze data to monitor progress towards milestones
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to establish positive working relationships with students, staff and volunteers
• Ability to function with minimal supervision, follow directions and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Excellent cultural and linguistic responsiveness skills, including the ability to work with people of varied cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
• Experience using Zoom, specifically screen sharing, creating breakout rooms, and ability to monitor while going in and out of breakout rooms
• Comfortable using Salesforce and Google Drive for tracking attendance, assessments and lesson plans.
• Bilingualism in English/Spanish preferred
This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Pay range from $30-$33/hr
This position is fully remote. Must be a California resident.
Canal Alliance Equity and Inclusion Statement
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities represented among our diverse employees.