The MLT/MT will perform clinical laboratory procedures, quality assurance, and instrument maintenance.
• Decisions concerning sample collection and handling.
• Daily instrument maintenance and quality control.
• Sample testing.
• Collection and interpretation of data.
• Maintenance of accurate records and reporting of data.
• Knowledge of critical values.
• Organizes work by matching computer orders with specimen labeling; sorting specimens; checking labeling; logging specimens; arranging reports for delivery; keeping work surfaces clean and orderly.
• Maintains quality results by running quality control and calibrations when required and verifying equipment function through routine equipment maintenance.
• Identifies and communicates abnormal patient conditions by alerting supervisory personnel, the pathologist, the patient physician, or nurse; reporting mandated information to the public health department or other designated officials.
• Contributes to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers by following established standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
• Maintains patient confidence by keeping laboratory information confidential.
• Serves and protects the hospital community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements.
· Performs routine and specialty laboratory tests.
· Reports critical test results to physicians or nurses immediately and according to established criteria. Reviews reports for clerical accuracy and clinical indications.
· Performs, analyzes, and records quality-control and takes appropriate corrective action when results are outside acceptable limits. Documents actions taken.
· Documents all instrument checks, preventive maintenance, routines, problems, and corrective actions taken. Recognizes, analyzes, and takes corrective action to resolve instrument/clinical problems.
· Contributes to the general laboratory functions and institutional needs. Performs specimen collection and processing duties according to policies established in the medical specialty area.
· Attends and participates in the preparation and/or presentation of the laboratory continuing education programs.
· Observes laboratory and hospital policies, procedures, and safety practices.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Adheres to the facility’s Standards of Excellence.
• Knowledge and ability to perform most or all tests in the laboratory.
• Overall knowledge of work performed in the laboratory.
• Ability to set priorities.
• Ability to handle more advanced functions of the laboratory.
Education and Experience:
• Associates degree from an approved medical technology program
• ASCP or equivalent certification