We currently are seeking a regular full time Irrigator/ Vineyard Assistant. This is an hourly, non-exempt position and will be based at our Healdsburg, CA location.
Silver Oak & Twomey Cellars has a mandatory vaccination policy, which requires all of our employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have a medical or religious exemption approved by the company.
“We have yet to make our best bottle of wine.” This philosophy of constant improvement at Silver Oak and Twomey applies to everyone and everything we do, from grape to glass, production to sales and marketing. We live and breathe a company culture focused on a healthy work-life balance, positive thinking, collaboration, going above and beyond, education, safety, and a sense of curiosity. Working at Silver Oak and Twomey comes with many benefits, but none as great as coming to work and feeling valued as a member of the family. Full time employment offers a competitive benefit and healthcare package.
SUMMARY: Under supervision of the Vineyard Manager, will oversee the irrigation of vineyards, ensuring accurate and efficient irrigations are applied. Will also assist in all vineyard development and farming activities including land preparation, trellis and irrigation system installation, planting, irrigation, fertilization, weed control, disease and pest control applications, cultivation, canopy management and harvest. Employee must enjoy working outside in a job that encompasses all aspects of vineyard operations through the lifecycle of the vine; from spring pruning to fall harvesting. This is a hands-on entry-level position.
· Responsible for correct operation of irrigation and frost systems including pumps, filters, valves, gauges, and pressure regulators. Repairs broken pipes, valves, drip hoses or faulty emitters. Reports any larger issues with the irrigation system to the vineyard manager.
· Maintains accurate weekly records of irrigations, fertilization, pond levels and frost water applied to all blocks in AgCode.
· Starts frost protection systems as necessary.
· Assists the Vineyard Manager with executing farming plan in accordance with production and winemaking guidance.
· Works with vineyard contractors/seasonal workers as directed by vineyard manager. Provides performance feedback on contractors to manager as needed.
· Complies with company policies and safety regulations. Cleans and maintains equipment in proper and safe working condition.
· May operate trucks, tractors, harvesters, and other heavy equipment as needed (backhoe, small and large trenchers, dump truck, front end loader, etc.).
· Takes on special projects as assigned by the Vineyard Manager.
· Additional duties as assigned.
· Degree in Viticulture or related field and/or equivalent combination of education and/or experience. 2-3 years related experience is required.
· Must know how to safely set up and operate:
o Equipment: Wheel Tractor, Quad, Pickup
o Implements: Disc, Seeder, Mower, Sprayer
· Willing to learn how to operate a mechanical harvester.
· Clean DMV record, class A license a plus.
· Basic understanding of equipment operation and maintenance.
· Ability to enter data into electronic handheld device.
· Understanding and ability to follow all safety requirements.
· Ability to perform the physical labor necessary.
· Attention to detail.
· Commitment to excellence and high standards.
· Able to prioritize, meet deadlines with accuracy, and work with minimal supervision.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
· Walk, kneel, bend, and stand for extended periods of time, frequently on uneven or steep terrain.
· Must be able to lift 40 pounds and carry it 50-60 feet repetitively throughout the day.
· Must be able to do repetitive hand squeezing with both hands.
· Work is mainly performed in a vineyard. The individual may come in contact with vines that have been treated with pesticides and fungicides as well as weeds that have been sprayed with herbicides in accordance with all local state and federal regulations.
· Noise levels can be moderate to loud.
· Exposed to outdoor elements; daytime temperatures can range from freezing to hot.
· Night and early morning work hours necessary during frost season and harvest with exposure to low temperatures and wind.
· Hazards: Occasionally works near moving machinery parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and toxic or caustic chemicals.
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.