Miyamoto International is a purpose-driven firm with a mission to make the world a better, safer place. We specialize in disaster risk management and provide resiliency expertise that sustains industries and safeguards communities around the world. With an expanding portfolio of humanitarian assistance and disaster preparedness, risk mitigation and recovery programs, we are currently seeking a Project Director with a passion for international development and humanitarian work to become a member of our growing and dynamic global International Development and Humanitarian team.
Locations: The position will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia. No relocation is provided.
This 3-year position is contingent on award with an anticipated start date of May 1, 2023. If awarded, selection of final candidate is also subject to donor approval.
The Project Director will provide overall technical and administrative leadership and serve as the primary liaison with the donor. The Project Director will be responsible for administering and managing the implementation of the program and have the overall responsibility for assuring that all program grant requirements are met. This includes all aspects of coordination and communication, including with the Government of Indonesia, donor partners, community members, and other implementing partners. The Project Director will oversee sub partners and individuals engaged under the program. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in managing USAID projects of similar size and scope.
Key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide overall project management, oversight and strategic direction for the program;
- Coordinate, liaise and effectively engage a broad array of high-level national and local stakeholders while executing representational and relationship management duties with host-governments, clients, donors and other international and national stakeholders;
- Official point of contact with the donor in Indonesia, including official representational duties in country and in the region as needed;
- Ultimate oversight and responsibility for quality control and timelines of all deliverables, including coordination with Miyamoto’s International Development teams on program and technical activities;
- Responsible for overall financial management of the project, ensuring managerial, administrative and financial procedures comply with donor regulations and principles and Miyamoto implementation modalities;
- Manage the overall multi-year project budget including forecast expenditure reports and update the project budget to mitigate cost overruns;
- Manage implementation of the Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Plan;
- Supervise all project personnel, contractors, and other personnel as assigned;
- Ensure that all program documentation is complete and effectively stored and saved for institutional memory and audit purposes;
- Create, maintain and update work plans to ensure on time delivery of all activities;
- In coordination with the technical teams, develop and deliver Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) community awareness/mobilization, capacity building and knowledge transfer workshops and policy and planning activities;
- Timely preparation and submission of client/donor and Miyamoto internal reporting requirements;
- Communicate frequently, proactively and openly with Miyamoto International on programming and implementation status, including raising and troubleshooting challenges;
- Maintaining codes of conduct and other international donor regulations;
- Ensuring fundamental elements of the safety and security plans are understood and executed, including a basic level of training for all project staff;
- Perform other related duties as needed.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated skill in international development program management, specifically programs related to disaster risk reduction, possess a high-level of political awareness, as well as deep knowledge of and aptitude in multi-stakeholder engagement and demonstrated contextual sensitivity.
The candidate will have substantial experience 8+ years managing or directing significant development donor programs in dynamic environments with a full understanding of the sensitivities of operating both at the highest levels of government and at the community level. Experience and understanding of working with USAID and living and working in Indonesia is critical.
Miyamoto International is seeking the best and brightest professionals to join our team. Our ideal candidate is a self-motivated leader with exceptional communication skills as well as the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks. Flexibility, organizational skills, project collaboration and accountability are integral components to achieving our goals. Your entrepreneurial spirit should motivate others, inspire new ideas and contribute toward growth and impact. Successful candidates share our passion for helping others and strive to improve the quality of their work with each new challenge. This is an opportunity to expand your creativity and build your expertise in the field.
Miyamoto International is an equal opportunity employer.
- Advanced degree in international development (and related areas to disaster risk reduction and disaster risk management) or other relevant advanced degree.
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated technical depth in the field of disaster risk reduction and disaster risk management;
- Strong past management experience at the leadership level working on large donor development projects or policy initiatives with a particular focus on disaster risk reduction;
- Ability to successfully execute a high-level international development project with remote support and supervision. Proven ability to rapidly assemble, shape and manage teams with requisite skills and experience;
- Past experience managing USAID cooperative grants or Activities;
- Must demonstrate highly developed interpersonal skills and ability to lead diverse teams;
- Excellent communicator able to work credibly and effectively and develop and maintain professional working relationships with community members as well as high-level government and private sector officials and others;
- Must demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Excellent organizational and planning skills;
- Self-starter with a “start-up” mentality a high degree of initiative, professionalism, and integrity.
- Ability and willingness to work in a flexible and dynamic global organization;
- Professional fluency in English (reading, writing and presentation skills); knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia a plus.