Under the guidance of the Senior Asset Manager, the Asset Management Analyst collaborates with Accounting/Finance, Property Management, and Real Estate Development in order to provide asset management services to Bellwether’s diverse portfolio of multi-family, affordable housing projects. The Asset Management Analyst will blend their analytical skills and knowledge of property management and affordable housing to generate data to inform property management decisions, maintain compliance with lender and investor requirements, and ensure the long-term financial health of Bellwether’s growing portfolio.
• Create and maintain analytical tools to support the Property Management, Development, and Finance teams.
• Review and interpret operating performance results, proactively monitor and respond to performance indicators, and identify potential watch-list issues.
• Provide analyses, forecasts, and tracking to alert Property Management and stakeholders of trends and events affecting Bellwether’s properties.
• Develop and maintain portfolio performance measurement tools for analyzing property operating performance, cash flow, debt structures, and reserve accounts.
• Coordinate with Portfolio Managers in developing annual building operations budgets and ensure debt service coverage ratios and other benchmarks are being met.
• Monitor and manage real estate valuations and exemptions, recommend properties for appeal filings, and ensure timely payment of taxes.
• Monitor and forecast reserve levels, capital accounts, and cash flow.
• Ensure that Bellwether meets stakeholder requirements and expectations by monitoring and coordinating financial compliance submissions and preparing forecasts.
• Prepare periodic and ad-hoc reports for the board, management and potential investors regarding portfolio performance.
• Assist with insurance renewals, ensure compliance and reporting requirements for existing and new properties are being met.
• Review commercial tenant leases and accounts; reconcile and calculate annual chargebacks to commercial tenants.
• Visit properties to develop understanding of property challenges and opportunities, and to develop and maintain relationship with site staff and commercial tenants.
• Develop an understanding of each property’s capital needs and projected reserve uses.
• Help develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders, banks, brokers, and vendors.
• Manage project cashflow distributions.
• Continuously acquire and implement knowledge of asset management and pursue appropriate certifications.
• Develop and maintain a working knowledge of HUD, Low Income Housing Tax Credit programs, and state and city housing programs.
• Aid the accounting department on special projects, as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, and/or related field.
• 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in financial analysis, asset or property management, accounting, finance, or related work.
• Demonstrated experience developing budgets, forecasts, and complex financial analyses.
• Experience with accounting general ledger or financial reporting software.
• Ability to read and understand real estate contracts and complex legal documents.
• Basic understanding of accounting principles and fundamentals.
• Working knowledge of real estate tax valuations and assessment techniques.
• Knowledge of accounting principles and fundamentals, including experience with audits and tax returns schedules.
• Proficient in MS Office Suite, including the ability to develop advanced spreadsheets, manage databases, and produce meaningful charts and graphs within Excel.
• Proven ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects.
• Excellent independent analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
• Effective verbal and written communication and relationship building skills.
• Ability to relate to and collaborate with team members, stakeholders, and government agencies.
• Experience with a real estate organization that manages affordable housing.
• Familiarity with public and private funding sources used to develop affordable housing, capital funding, operating subsidies, and rental assistance.
• Experience with real estate appraisals and taxation.
• Experience with macros, SQL scripts, and/or MS Access.
• Project management experience.
• Experience working with a diverse group.
Other Position Requirements:
• Ability to lift 20lbs occasionally.
• A personal vehicle is not a requirement of this position. However, if using a personal or company-owned vehicle in the performance of job duties associated with this position, incumbent must possess and maintain a valid Washington State Driver’s License, the appropriate amount of automobile insurance, and a safe driving record.
• Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Compensation: $54,000- $60,500 per year, depending on experience. Generous Benefits
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm