Whisker, formerly known as AutoPets, is the maker of Litter-Robot, Feeder-Robot, and Litterbox.com. At Whisker, we believe pet parenthood can always get better.
As leading innovators in pet tech and refined pet accessories, we work tirelessly to solve problems and deliver smarter insights for pet parents while enriching the lives of pets. Whether it’s a self-cleaning litter box that automates scooping, an automatic feeder that helps pets develop healthier eating habits, or a modern cat tree that delights both humans and felines, we strive to deliver better solutions for consumers while transforming pet care along the way. To us, having a pet is the best thing ever. At Whisker, life together just keeps getting better.
Whisker is based in Auburn Hills, Michigan and Juneau, Wisconsin with 450+ passionate team members.
What You'll Do:
The Payroll & Benefits Manager oversees payroll processing, benefit administration, and HR/Finance compliance as it pertains to the role.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Responsible for the full-cycle payroll process for 400+ Team Members, including processing payroll, bonuses, garnishments, tax payments, insurance deductions, PTO, Mileage, etc
- Responsible for conducting weekly, quarterly, and annual payroll audits for accuracy
- Work with Finance to help complete weekly, quarterly, and end-of-year taxes
- Responsible for assisting and overseeing end-of-year payroll processing, closing the payroll year, W2 processing, and providing notifications to Team Members
- Maintains, reviews, and audits payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions, including changes to salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions
- Provides accurate and timely processing of payroll updates and changes internally and related to payroll laws and regulations
- Prepares and maintains correct payroll and human resource records for the company
- Responsible for designing and maintaining policies, forms, and SOPs for the Payroll Department, including proper segregation of duties with the payroll function
- Partners with the Accounting Team to report on overall all payroll costs vs. budget and communicate changes in payroll and/or benefits to ensure accurate and timely reporting of financial results
- Acts as a strategic partner to the Director of People and HR to develop and implement strategies and initiatives related to Team Member benefits
- The main point of contact for all internal and external benefits-related inquiries
- Maintains relationships with service providers, insurance companies, benefits consultant/broker, Team Members, and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits
- Responsible for thorough technical knowledge of the workings of group insurance plans, plan documents, summary plan descriptions, and other insurance mechanisms
- Maintains knowledge of best practices and new technologies in benefits administration
- Researches, monitors, and interprets tax regulations, FLSA, DOL, etc., and assists with ongoing analysis to identify and address potential risk areas
- Oversee benefit plan compliance by partnering with the Finance Department and our benefits brokers to ensure all benefit plans meet federal and state requirements, including, but not limited to, Plan Audits, 5500 filings, Discrimination Testing, OSHA reporting, ACA reporting, and HIPAA required notices
- Drives key compliance initiatives about new state entry, local, state, and federal requirements, including leave laws, paid sick time, and auditing the compliance of the company’s benefit programs
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations and recommended best practices; reviews policies and procedures to maintain compliance
- Monitors and ensures compliance with the company's legal obligations regarding FMLA, ADA, EEO/Affirmative Action, Workers' Compensation, Unemployment, and other employment laws. Compiles and submits regulatory compliance data to include EEO reports, end-of-the-year 401k reporting, and ACA reporting for the 1095-C documentation
What You'll Bring:
- BA/BS in Accounting, or Human Resources field, or applicable degree
- 5+ years of experience in multi-state payroll
- 5+ years of experience in payroll-related compliance
- 5+ years of experience with benefit administration
- Technical knowledge of payroll systems, tax registration, HR-related laws, accounting process, and industry-specific resources
- Maintains confidentiality of proprietary information
- A high degree of initiative, self-motivation, and ability to motivate others
- Ability to maintain an empowered, tenacious, and inventive approach to job functions
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and understanding working relationships with Team Members and colleagues
Not Required but Nice to Have!
- Experience with Paylocity, Sentinel Benefits, and Employee Navigator is a plus
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- SHRM/PHR/SPHR certification
- Owns a pet
Benefits & Purrks:
Join a tenacious, inventive company that empowers team members to chart their own path, lead by grounding decisions in the “why”, and has a strong sense of empathy and openness to new perspectives. Be a part of exciting growth, work with incredible people, and create tomorrow’s pet products—plus a whole lot of extras. You will also be provided with:
- Premium Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- Life Insurance
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401K with 4% Match
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Top of the line equipment
Statement of Inclusivity:
We believe different perspectives make Whisker better and strive to create a place where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive.