JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for the planning, goal-setting, strategy development, implementation, evaluation and securing major gifts through foundations. Develops long-term positive donor relationships as part of Harvesters’ Strategic Plan, with an emphasis on writing grants, proposals, and reports in order to secure foundation funding sources to meet a portion of Harvesters’ fundraising goals.
1. Lead, develop, and support a team in and managing current and prospective foundation relationships and Partnerships.
2. Actively engage in working to establish long-term partnerships and strengthen existing relationships with local and national foundations that will result in funding for the immediate and long-term goals of Harvesters.
3. Develop and execute plans, goals, and strategies supervise daily operations of foundation relations by managing project throughput in order to successfully meet deadlines as assigned for proposals and reports.
4. Utilize financial tools to create tailored project budgets, budget narratives and budget reports which effectively communicate and present relevant financial matters to donors, following donor interest and Intent.
5. Ensure that department procedures and policies related to maintaining donor records and proposals are followed; utilize existing systems, software, and technology to maintain current constituent records.
6. Work collaboratively with Harvesters’ staff across the organization to manage the information flow needed for reports and funding proposals in order to reflect the most accurate and comprehensive view of the organization.
7. As appropriate, evaluate new funding opportunities and prospects and help to set strategy and direction
8. Toward donors with the most potential to support Harvesters.
9. Represent the department and Harvesters to donors and the public through visits, written and phone communications.
10. Manage planning, budgeting, professional development, mentoring and activities for direct reports and in area of responsibility.
11. Other duties as assigned.
OTHER ASPECTS OF THE JOB:
1. Able to effectively communicate and interact with donors, volunteers, co-workers and the general public.
2. Able to provide superior customer service to internal and external clients.
3. Keen attention to detail, skilled in planning and organization, project management, follow-up and meeting deadlines with limited supervision.
4. Able to multi-task and collaborate with others to achieve goals in a busy office environment.
5. Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills with individuals and large groups are essential.
6. Have a commitment to the mission of Harvesters.
7. Produces high quality and effective products with limited resources.
8. This position functions in an office environment and requires local travel in the service area. It requires the use of general office equipment such as computers, copiers, cameras, fax machines and automobiles.
9. This position requires daily extensive writing and project management as well as skills in budgets and revenue. Work venues vary from office, to social events, to presentations, to large and small meetings and interactions with individuals, involving a variety of environments.
10. Incumbent will spend 75% of the time stationary working at a computer terminal, and 25% of the time in a car, talking on the telephone, visiting face-to-face with donors and/or in a warehouse environment.
11. This position requires an understanding of all Harvesters food safety policies and compliance with all food safety related procedures.
1. Required Experience
• 5 years development experience, utilizing a variety of cultivation and solicitation techniques related to grant writing and foundation relations.
• Ability to take initiative, coordinate with others, meet deadlines and follow through in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication, organization, presentation and networking skills.
• Computer literacy with experience in Word, Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Office and internet research
• Experience with nonprofit fund raising software, Raiser’s Edge experience a plus.
2. Preferred Experience
• 5-7 years documented success in fundraising, especially working with corporate and/or foundation relations
• 5-7 Years managerial experience
• Ability to manage, motivate, and mentor staff in a team environment to produce measured results.
• Experience with Kansas City’s philanthropic community
• Knowledge of food banking industry
3. Required Education
• Bachelor’s degree in English or Business or other equivalent field.
4. Preferred Education
• Master’s degree in Nonprofit Management or related field.