Champaign County Forest Preserve District
Classification: Part-time Department: Museum and Education
Work Location: Museum of the Grand Prairie (Mahomet, IL) and Homer Lake Interpretive Center (Homer, IL)
Hours: Varied hours Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 5:00, unless otherwise scheduled. Evening, weekend, or holiday hours may be required under unusual circumstances. 1400 annual (@27 per week).
Pay Range: $14.33
The Custodial Specialist is responsible for cleaning, maintaining and protecting the facilities at the Museum of the Grand Prairie, Education Center, and Annex at Lake of the Woods and the Interpretive Center at Homer Lake. The objectives are: 1) ensure clean and sanitary restrooms, program spaces, and work areas, 2) maintain building and systems safety and maintenance inspections, 3) conduct assigned scheduled maintenance and coordinate tradespeople as needed, and 4) maintain organized shop space in museum Annex.
The Custodial Specialist reports directly to the Curator of Collections and Exhibits.
• Ensure indoor spaces are clean, safe, and ready for occupations and use my staff volunteers and visitors.
• Maintain commitment to sustainable, green cleaning practices, including adherence to the District Sustainable Purchasing Practices and assess effectiveness.
• Perform monthly inspections of physical plant and report any problems to the Curator, including inspections of elevators, security system, exit lights, fire extinguishers, HVAC, electrical systems and lights.
• Perform minor repairs (replacing broken switches, fixing door handles, minor leaks etc.) Report major damages and assist with repairs when requested.
• Schedule and oversee repairs by tradespeople and coordinate with other District Operations, Planning, and Construction staff on work impacting the facilities.
• Order supplies within budget
• Undertake occasional general labor tasks, e.g. shoveling snow from the sidewalk, lifting heavy items, moving chairs etc.
• Assist with minor tear-down and small construction projects within the facilities.
• Perform annual cleaning tasks: e.g. carpet shampooing, window washing, etc.
• Perform all job tasks in compliance with the District’s Safety Manual and the department training manual.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience
• Previous experience as custodian, janitor, maintenance worker or in a similar role
• Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances
• Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
• Familiarity with and handyman practices
• High school diploma or equivalent is preferred but not required
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to understand and follow both verbal and written directions
• Attention to detail and conscientiousness
• Ability to work independently without direct supervision
• Ability to organize multiple projects with varying timelines
• Ability to maintain simple budget
• Good communication skills and ability to maintain good working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, and the public
• CPR/AED and First Aid certification, or the ability to become certified within 12 months of employment
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is primarily performed indoors within a museum and interpretive center setting. While performing this job, the employee regularly utilizes standard cleaning equipment. Some work will be performed outdoors in various weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain, snow, or ice. Employee may be exposed to hazardous flora and fauna (e.g. poison ivy, wild parsnip, biting/stinging insects) and chemicals (e.g. cleaning supplies or herbicides/pesticides). The employee may have occasional interaction with the public and other employees. Ability to effectively communicate is required.
This position is very active and requires prolonged standing and walking throughout the work shift. Duties will include climbing, stooping, twisting, balancing, kneeling, crouching, and crawling. The employee may regularly handle, grasp, or feel objects; reach, push, or pull to reposition items; and may frequently lift up to 50 points to shoulder height or above and up to 75 pounds to carrying height. Visual acuity necessary for this position includes close vision, peripheral vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
Use of personal protective equipment will be required based on job specific tasks. This may include, but is not limited to, the following items:
• Closed toed shoes
• Protective gloves
• Safety goggles or glasses
• Earplugs or ear covers
• Reflective vest or hi-vis shirt
• Respirators or masks
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described above are representative of those an employee must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please Note: Studies have shown that people from various racial and ethnic backgrounds, women and other excluded or historically excluded people are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe that they meet every one of the qualifications as stated in the job description. The Champaign County Forest Preserve District is interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and qualifications for the role.
The Champaign County Forest Preserve District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or any other non-merit factor.
This job description is intended to describe the general content of and requirement for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Changes, including additional duties, may be assigned at any time.
To be considered for this position, Interested candidates must submit an application directly to www.ccfpd.org (Get Involved, Employment, Current Vacancies). Review of applicants will begin 05/12/2023.