Under the direction of the President and CEO, the Vice President of Finance will provide strategic financial leadership for all VISIT Milwaukee operations, administration and financial matters. The Vice President of Finance is responsible for the direction and fiscal integrity of VISIT Milwaukee and Destination Milwaukee. The oversight and execution of all the financial duties of the organization including: financial statements and reports, financial plans, policies and practices, and forecasts. Along with the leadership team, the Vice President of Finance will work with the Board of Directors, external accounting firms, creditors, stakeholders, general insurance representatives, investment advisors, record keepers, actuaries, banks and financial institutions. Serves as Corporate Assistant Secretary to the Board of Directors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, coordinate and implement comprehensive financial procedures and internal controls that maintain the fiscal integrity of the organization.
- Manages all steps in the accounting cycle for VISIT Milwaukee, a non-profit 501c6 organization, including accounts payable and receivable, cash management, general ledger maintenance, preparation of financial statements, budget assistance, and payroll processing.
- Establish and monitor a system of internal controls to maintain integrity of operations, transactions, and safeguarding of assets. Develop and implement documentation procedures for all appropriate financial matters.
- Maintain all necessary financial records for internal operating control, corporate reports, and statutory requirements.
- Prepare all financial reports and statements in accordance with GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles), and provide to staff and Board of Directors in a timely manner.
- Forecast the organization’s future business results, growth opportunities, and organizational risk to inform leadership decisions.
- Oversee all steps in the accounting cycle for VISIT Milwaukee, a non-profit 501c6 organization, and Destination Milwaukee, a 501c3 organization. Responsible for management and oversight of accounts payable and receivable, cash management, and general ledger. Oversee and review the daily work of staff accountants.
- Develop, implement, and monitor the annual budget in accordance with the annual strategic plan and in collaboration with senior staff. Ongoing monitoring of budget and day-to-day financial transactions for compliance and variances. Facilitate budget revision process as necessary.
- Prepare monthly/annual budget presentation for the Audit/Finance Committee, Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
- Oversee the financial planning and investment of VISIT Milwaukee funds in accordance with the bylaws and Board of Directors and Executive Committee. Ensure funds are deposited in FDIC backed instruments. Monitor cash flow and prepare cash flow projections.
- Oversee annual audit in coordination with independent auditing firm. Ensure required audit documentation is prepared prior to field audit. Serve as primary liaison to audit firm.
- File state sales and use tax returns, year-end 1099s, and other year-end tax reporting information.
- Under the direction of the President & CEO, and in accordance with the annual budget, administer the salary program.
- Administer annual performance reviews for direct reports.
- Assist with the selection and administration of employee benefit plan.
- Serve as plan trustee for company sponsored 401k plan. Ensure all fiduciary duties and reporting requirements are met as they relate to ERISA.
- Serve as primary staff contact with financial advisor.
- Oversee and manage the payroll system, including processing of bi-weekly payroll. Ensure compliance with federal and state payroll tax laws. Reconcile monthly and quarterly payroll reports; prepare year-end information for tax reporting. Provide training on payroll input and review work.
Operations and Administration
- Direct the purchase of all goods, services and equipment required by departments under the guidelines established by the strategic plan and budget, and ensure procurements are done competitively.
- Management of leased office space. Serve as primary contact with building management. Plan, design and allocate office space and oversee future VISIT Milwaukee office relocation plans.
- Review all legal contracts and agreements in coordination with President & CEO; act as one of the primary contacts with legal counsel.
- Attend industry training and events as appropriate. Represent VISIT Milwaukee at events as needed.
- Performs the duties of the office of Assistant Corporate Secretary as required by the By-Laws of VISIT Milwaukee.
- Attend all Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and other committee meetings as necessary.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Finance/Audit Committee. Make recommendations as it relates to internal financial controls for the organization. Schedule meetings as necessary for annual audit review, proposed budget approval and budget revisions. Record minutes of meetings.
- Maintain and update corporate records and organization bylaws. Ensure all annual filings are completed in a timely manner.
Required education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in business, with a major in accounting or finance or equivalent experience. Master’s degree in Business with an emphasis in accounting, finance preferred.
- Minimum ten years of demonstrated financial management experience, preferably within a non-profit environment.
- Experience with general human resource functions, and familiarity with state and federal employment laws.
- Prior management and supervisory experience.
Required skills, knowledge and abilities:
- Strong financial and analytical skills including a working knowledge of accounting/financial procedures, GAAP, budget and audit processes.
- Experience with computerized accounting systems, Paylocity payroll processing, and proficient in Excel.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and a commitment to business ethics and integrity.
- Strong commitment to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace.
- Ability to present to diverse audiences, specifically, racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to convey information to various levels of staff and management.
- Demonstrated presentation skills.
- Proven skills in leadership, mentoring, and motivating a team with diverse levels of expertise.
- Experience with MS Office applications and CRM databases.
- Office 365 Enterprise
- Ability to travel by air and personal vehicle. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- All candidates must agree to a criminal background check.
- Ability to sit at desk, operate computer keyboard and view computer screen for six to eight hours per day.
- Must be able to hear and converse via telephone, in person, and virtually.
- May be required to lift boxes and small equipment up to 50 pounds in weight.
NOTE: This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Apply including resume, cover letter, and desired salary.
No phone calls please. Due to the high volume of applications received, we are not able to contact all applicants.
VISIT Milwaukee is an equal opportunity employer.