Whisker is the maker of Litter-Robot, Feeder-Robot, and Litterbox.com. At Whisker, we believe pet parenthood can always get better.
As leading innovators in pet tech and refined pet accessories, we work tirelessly to solve problems and deliver smarter insights for pet parents while enriching the lives of pets. Whether it’s a self-cleaning litter box that automates scooping, an automatic feeder that helps pets develop healthier eating habits, or a modern cat tree that delights both humans and felines, we strive to deliver better solutions for consumers while transforming pet care along the way. To us, having a pet is the best thing ever. At Whisker, life together just keeps getting better.
Whisker is based in Auburn Hills, Michigan and Juneau, Wisconsin with 450+ passionate team members.
What You’ll Do:
In Advanced Development you embrace ambiguity, empathize with the voice of the customer and have a forward vision of a product's entire lifecycle. You will utilize experience and intuition to design and develop highly functional connected pet care products with a heavy focus on the proverbial napkin sketch. This position will diligently work with a core team of cross functional like minded team members to physically prove out system and subsystem theory of operation. These newly developed concepts will become the backbone of future product designs that ultimately drive Whisker’s hardware roadmap.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs initial concepts of consumer products, systems and subsystems using CAD/Solid Modeling tools
- Hand builds proof of operation prototypes utilizing any number or method of in-house lab resources
- Designs will be developed in support of future test and qualification efforts, and the scope of the role will also include development of producibility and supportability strategies
- Drives design efforts with guidance from experienced Team Leads & Controlled Title Holders (experts in their fields) in a mission-based team environment
- Execute the design, analysis, or evaluation for assigned projects using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements
- This work will be largely mechanical design focused but require incorporation & trades for other advanced technology elements
- Under guidance of your Team Lead, use judgment and propose different solutions to address more complicated processes with technical variety and/or interdependent production cycles.
- Leverage prior mechanical design experience and broadened knowledge of one's own technical discipline to meet product deliverables within schedule and budget constraints
- Demonstrate systems-thinking mentality to understand how work of one's team integrates with others to achieve product requirements
- Comfortable with advanced surface design in complex situations and where form and function are one.
- Utilizes top down modeling and design techniques
- Can conduct benchmarking research and creates design proposals for projects
- Knowledge of Injection molded plastics, sheet metal and other similar manufacturing processes
- Can produce drawings and specifications.
- Will perform additional responsibilities when required
What You’ll Bring:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics or other relevant field
- 7+ years experience in product design
- 5+ years experience with injection molded plastics and/or castings
- 3+ years experience with electronics packaging
- 3+ years experience with motor-driven mechanisms
- Background in consumer plastics product design
- Strong CAD experience with PTC Creo or similar systems
- Proven ability to be creative, agile, and detail oriented
- Proficient in Microsoft’s business suite of software (Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Has been involved in at least one successful new product introduction
- Maintains confidentiality of proprietary information
- Ability to maintain a professional atmosphere in a fast-paced environment with numerous interactions and interruptions
- High degree of initiative, self-motivation and ability to motivate others
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with Team Members and colleagues
- Comfortable with office pets (dogs, cats)
Not Required but Nice to Have!
- Not required to have pets, but highly recommended!
- PTC Windchill or other PLM
- Google software suite
- A solid model / design skill set test may be asked to complete as part of the interview process
Benefits & Purrks:
Join a tenacious, inventive company that empowers team members to chart their own path, lead by grounding decisions in the “why”, and has a strong sense of empathy and openness to new perspectives. Be a part of exciting growth, work with incredible people, and create tomorrow’s pet products—plus a whole lot of extras. You will also be provided with:
- Premium Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- Life Insurance
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401K with 4% Match
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Top of the line equipment
Statement of Inclusivity:
We believe different perspectives make Whisker better and strive to create a place where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive.
Please ensure to regularly check your email spam folder for any communication from Whisker to avoid missing important updates regarding your application status.