Your future starts here.
Origin Design is a full-service professional design firm offering architecture, engineering, field services and land survey. We deliver impactful, sustainable solutions to help the clients and communities we work with thrive and grow.
Origin Design is continually seeking highly qualified individuals to enhance and expand our staff to better serve our clients. We are currently hiring a full-time Traffic & Transportation Engineering Team Leader to manage, provide guidance and oversight, as well as technical expertise to the Traffic & Transportation Team. The position will be based out of the Dubuque office.
Origin Design emphasizes training and professional development to facilitate personal and professional growth in your career. We’ve worked hard to develop a culture of collaboration and position our employees for success. If you join our team, we will help you grow your skills and encourage your creativity. Your future starts here. #itstartshere #origincrew
Team Leader Responsibilities
- Attend regular leadership, project management, and operational meetings and provide Traffic & Transportation Engineering Team status and initiatives reports.
- Assemble and organize project teams.
- Manage and review Traffic & Transportation Engineering Team staff utilization and efficiency.
- Responsible for oversight of Traffic & Transportation Engineering Team revenue and business development, including establishing revenue projections.
- Monitor project performance for Project Managers within Traffic & Transportation Engineering Team.
- Responsible for business development strategy and planning within the Traffic & Transportation Engineering Team. Collaborate with other Team Leaders to achieve business development goals.
- Responsible for completing performance appraisals and personal success strategies for staff in Traffic & Transportation Engineering Team.
- Provide staffing/hiring recommendations and participate in hiring process.
- Responsible for writing and reviewing proposals and contracts for single and multi-discipline projects.
- Establish and maintain relationships with clients, including Iowa DOT, Wisconsin DOT, Illinois DOT, County Engineers, and municipalities with transportation projects.
- Act as client manager which includes meeting with clients to define scope of work, prepare engineering agreements and contracts, represent Origin Design at public meetings, and attend project meetings.
- Build the professional practice of the firm and enhance its reputation with clients, the public, and the profession.
- Mentor, coach, and inform technical staff of knowledge and methods specific to the engineering profession.
- Represent Origin Design at interviews, meetings, conferences, etc.
- Coordination with marketing team for development of website and social media content for the Traffic & Transportation Engineering service line.
Project Management Responsibilities
- Project manager for traffic and transportation projects and maintain client communications.
- Serve as Engineer of Record in responsible charge of projects.
- Coordinate work with other disciplines.
- Recognize and manage project priorities.
- Direct project assignments and tasks for staff engineers, technicians, and administrative staff.
- Maintain knowledge of developing and current technology and practices related to the engineering profession.
- Peer review work of other engineers.
- Attend public and client meetings.
- Oversee permitting and regulatory requirements such as Department of Transportation, Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Natural Resources, Corps of Engineers, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife permitting requirements.
- Oversee and direct preparation and review plans and specifications for traffic and transportation engineering projects.
- Oversee construction administration, including coordination with contractors and inspectors, requests for information, site observations, pay applications, and submittal reviews.
- 15 to 25 years of experience in design of transportation projects.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in Transportation Engineering preferred.
- Current licensure as a Professional Engineer with the capability of obtaining State of Iowa licensure within six (6) months of employment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff, clients, contractors and regulatory agencies.
- Experience in writing and reviewing proposals, overseeing revenue, and business development preferred.
- Technical Competencies
- Experience, proficiency, and expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Design of transportation facilities, including urban/rural roadway system, bridge, and trail projects.
- Geometric design of rural roadways.
- Intersection design.
- Traffic engineering, such as trip generation, traffic impact studies, capacity analysis, and traffic signal design.
- Familiarity with the AASHTO Roadside Design Guide, AASHTO Policy on Geometric Design or Highways, Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Design Standards publications from the Iowa DOT, Wisconsin DOT, and Illinois DOT.
- Experience with construction administration based on FHWA requirements preferred.
- Experience with design and development of transportation projects, including incorporation of permitting and regulatory requirements such as Department of Transportation, Department of Natural Resources, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Fish and Wildlife permits, and historical/archaeological requirements.
- Experience with traffic engineering activities, such as traffic signal design and traffic impact studies.
- Work-life balance.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Remote working options.
- Competitive compensation packages.
- Discretionary bonuses.
- Paid holidays.
- Paid Parental Leave.
- ESOP Employee Ownership.
- Strong health care plans.
- Life insurance coverage.
- 401k program with employer match.
- Full Employee Assistance Program.
- Gym membership for you and your spouse.
- Health Savings Account with employer match.
- Continuing education.
- Tuition assistance.
- Relocation assistance.
Origin Design is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.