This position will be responsible for managing the GIS program under the direction of the IT Director. The primary responsibilities include overseeing a group of ESRI GIS analysts and be responsible for programming and maintaining enterprise/desktop/mobile software applications for enterprise-wide data collection, visualization, QA/QC, conversion, and integration with other software technologies. Other responsibilities include managing data sharing with external entities, coordinating GIS activities between different departments, and providing troubleshooting and training on GIS technology as needed.
Perform database management (in coordination with IT Dept.); this may include, but not be limited to:
- Manage users and permissions
- Manage data backups
- Manage versions
- Perform database compression
- Create and maintain replications
- Perform data schema modifications
- Troubleshoot database or server performance issues
- Maintain GIS services and database connectivity
- Conduct periodic restoration tests to ensure data integrity and availability
- Develop and implement database and GIS backup retention policies and procedures
- Understand and implement best security practices regarding data and applications.
Lead data management activities: this may include, but not be limited to:
- Data clean-up and validation
- Create and update meta data
- Develop and implement standard operating practices for this subject matter
- Develop and maintain relationships with external entities with whom data is shared.
Oversee the maintenance of GPS equipment, including approximately 18 Trimble GPS receivers & corresponding data collectors, base station, and software.
Identify, plan, and implement GIS projects which may involve, but not be limited to:
- New or modified means and methods for data collection and/or editing
- New or modified map interfaces and/or functionality
- GIS data migration and/or conversion
- Create solutions/edit solutions
- Knowledge with/utilize Python to create/maintain ESRI solutions
Manage and maintain all mapping software and closely integrated software including, but limited to:
- ESRI - ArcMap Desktop, Arcgis Online and/or Portal, Insights, Survey
- Trimble – Unity
- Work order management software in the future
Develop and maintain a good relationship with GIS Consultants who has historically performed or significantly contributed to many of the above tasks.
Direct supervision of two GIS editors/technicians.
Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE/EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, GIS, Cartography, Computer Science or related discipline or the combination of another degree and professional experience in the GIS field
- FAA certified drone pilot is preferred
- GISP certification is preferred
- ESRI software experience must include:
- ArcMap 10.4 (or higher)
- ArcServer 10.4 (or higher)
- Enterprise Environments
- ArcGIS Online/Portal - including Webapp builder, enterprise logon administration, application and map creation and management, and updating and publishing map services
- Experience with geometric networks, versioning, and replicated databases
- Experience with multi-user geodatabases, attribute data structures, data acquisition, database construction, spatial analysis, metadata, editing attribute and graphical data, and QA/QC methods
- Experience with Python and/or Model Builder
- Experience with GPS data collection process and field data collection methods
- Microsoft software experience must include a working knowledge of SQL server and Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Experience implementing best security practices regarding data and applications
- Ability to train and provide technical direction to less experienced personnel
- 12 or more years of overall GIS experience preferred [minimum of 5 required]
- A minimum of 5 years in a position with supervisory responsibilities
- A minimum of 3 years of experience with GIS as it applies to the utility industry with preference to water/wastewater specifically
- Ability to gather and analyze data.
- Ability to resolve problems and/or complaints.
- Ability to read scientific technical journals, technical manuals, maps, etc.
- Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries.
- Ability to think independently within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
- Effective interaction with others within the organization.
- Work is in an office setting. Physical demands include but are not limited to fine dexterity (hand movement computer keyboard, writing, mouse, GPS equipment), sitting, standing, talking, twisting, and good vision.
- Must meet residential policy requirements of a 45-minute radius and maintain that status as a condition of continued employment.
- Valid Tennessee Driver’s License and good driving record.