Bed-Stuy New Beginnings:
Bedford Stuyvesant New Beginnings Charter School is an elementary and middle school proudly serving the students in our neighborhood in Brooklyn, affectionately known worldwide as 'Bed-Stuy'. Opened in 2010, we serve more than 670 scholars in Kindergarten - Eighth Grade through the pursuit of 21st century learning, project based & service learning, and traditional coursework strategies, students will be prepared to succeed in academically competitive schools as well as become responsible citizens of the global community. We are now starting the process of expanding our school to K-12 and are looking for the founding teachers to achieve this goal.
We offer you the opportunity to change the future: one scholar at a time. Each BSNBCS Scholar (present and future) deserves the chance to receive the quality education they need to help prepare them for academic success and growth. You also deserve to work in environment that is collaborative, fosters professional growth and development, and that empowers each staff member to take ownership of the learning environment in their classrooms or functional area. This is your chance to join a great team with the intent of teaching young minds, helping our scholars grow, work in key roles within the school, and to develop your career.
Our Special Education Teachers
We are looking for a dedicated Special Education Teacher who will take a creative and entrepreneurial approach to teaching our special needs scholars. We believe that every scholar can succeed with the right structures and support. As our Special Education (ICT) Teacher, you will be part of a co-teaching team that is united in this vision and will manage the IEP cases in your classes to actively create differentiated, scaffolded and engaging learning opportunities in an integrated classroom for all your scholars.
We foster a culture of excitement about learning for our students by partnering together to create vibrant learning environments focused on project and inquiry based learning. We have a co-teaching model that allows our classroom teachers (to include our ICT teachers) to partner together to ensure our scholars are engaged with rich and rigorous lesson material. We have a collaborative environment that is designed to help our scholars engage in their studies as well as in their natural curiosities and to embrace a culture that is based on restorative practices; allowing our scholars to feel connected, empowered, and respected.
- Active member of the Bed Stuy New Beginnings High School Planning team, which will engage in a planning year for 2023-24 and open the high school with our first ninth grade in 2024-25.
- With the High School Planning team, design the curriculum and instructional framework for high school, developing strong academic, social-emotional and interpersonal relationships with our class of 2028, who will be 8th graders in 2023-24.
- Develop IEPs, annuals and triennials for students with disabilities and work closely with general education teachers and administrators to support the needs of all students.
- Follows and maintains knowledge of all BSNBCS policies and procedures.
- Partner with co-teacher(s) to design, create and implement lesson plans for appropriate instruction in accordance with students' needs, BSNBCS curriculum, Common Core and state standards.
- Practice classroom management that is conducive to providing a positive learning environment for all students and that is aligned with BSNBCS positive behavior intervention support (PBIS) using restorative justice and responsive classroom management methodology.
- Plan a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students.
- Uses a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Assist in the selection of books, equipment and other instructional materials.
- Assign relevant homework.
- Grade papers, assignments, and assessments promptly and accurately.
- Prepare and administer subject/topical specific tests to measure student abilities and progress.
- Prepare report cards and progress reports.
- Facilitate conferences with students and parents.
- Complete required paperwork in specified time and manner.
- Conduct appropriate assessments of students' work and maintain accurate and regular data on students in areas of attendance, grades and IEP progress, if applicable.
- Supervise students in hallways and in all school areas outside of the classroom environment before, after and between classes.
- Assist administration in implementing policies and rules governing student life and conduct.
- Work to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning the academic and behavioral progress of their students through conferences, written messages, telephone calls and/or e-mail.
- Promptly report any serious accident or illness affecting students in the teacher's charge or any incident which might affect the school, teachers or students therein.
- Assess the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and maintain such records as required by law and by BSNBCS policy.
- Take all responsible precautions to provide for the health and safety of the students and to protect equipment, materials and facilities.
- Appropriately maintains and secures confidential records and inquiries.
- Maintain appropriate certifications and training hours, as required.
- Cooperate with other members of the staff in planning instructional goals, objectives, curriculum and instructional methods.
- Professionally represent the school in interactions with parents, community, staff and students.
- Comply with applicable state, local and federal laws, rules and regulations.
- Take an active role in community outreach.
- Possess a strong understanding of and ability to implement the BSNBCS2 Mission, Vision and Values
- Attend work regularly and be punctual.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
? Education: Bachelor degree in Education or equivalent from four-year college or university. Master degree in Education or equivalent strongly preferred.
? Experience: Must have a measurable and proven record of teaching success in an urban District, Private or Charter School. At least three (3) years of prior successful experience teaching students in an urban school is strongly preferred.
? Certification: Certificates as determined by the New York State Education Department (NYSED). Must have a valid teacher's certificate in an applicable subject and with grade specific endorsement(s) issued by the NYSED. Dual Special Education certification in 7-12, 5-9 Multi Subject or K-12 required.
? Interpersonal Skills: Works well with others from diverse backgrounds. Focuses on solving conflict; maintaining confidentiality; listening to others without interrupting; keeping emotions under control; remaining open to others’ ideas and contributing to building a positive team spirit. Ability to work in partnership with assigned Co-Teacher(s). Demonstrated ability to successfully work with and teach grade students
? Computer Skills: General knowledge of computer usage and ability to use e-mail, internet, word processing software, and spreadsheets including, but not limited to Google Suite applications, Microsoft Office Suite applications and Apple MacBook iOs.
? Other Skills and Abilities: Demonstrated knowledge of child growth and development at each level of instruction and of the social, emotional, physical and cognitive development of students. Possess knowledge of effective behavior management methods. Ability to meet timelines and exercise good judgment while working in a dynamic environment.
? Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of student performance data in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
? Salary Commensurate with Experience, Certifications and Qualifications: Expected salary range between $75,000-$95,000.