TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit whose mission is to inspire, engage and support people to take personal responsibility for the urban environment, making it safe, healthy, fun and sustainable, and to share the process as a model for the world. TreePeople is among the largest independent environmental organizations in California. Sustained by a staff of educators, foresters, organizers, expert practitioners, and administrators as well as thousands of trained Community Foresters, TreePeople has and will continue to play a leading role in mobilizing people, private businesses, and public agencies to work together to create resilient urban communities capable of withstanding the mounting challenges of climate change.
TreePeople is currently seeking a highly motivated Policy and Research Communications Coordinator. This individual will coordinate, manage, and support the Los Angeles Urban Soil Collaborative: Soil Connects Us All Project. This position will also assist with other research and policy initiatives, including, school greening, environmental education, and community organizing.
- Coordinate and assist with the Los Angeles Urban Soil Collaborative: Soil Connects Us All project.
- Manage projects in the areas of urban forestry, urban soils, extreme heat, school greening, community organizing, and climate resilience.
- Develop work plans and coordinate internal and external teams.
- Plan, organize, and facilitate events, workshops, webinars, meetings, and calls.
- Assist with partners on demonstration projects under the soil initiative.
- Conduct outreach and build and maintain relationships and partnerships with key policy-makers, stakeholders, and partners in governmental, non-governmental, academic, and community groups.
- Coordinate all implementation phases of projects, including conducting research (e.g. literature review), performing data analysis, and writing reports from initiation to completion.
- Perform project management, including scoping, budgeting, planning, communications, directing subcontractors or volunteers, reporting, and invoicing.
- Work on public policy issues at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Assist with other strategic communications initiatives that involve school greening, environmental education, and community organizing.
- Support TreePeople’s social media community across several platforms including Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Work with colleagues to generate, schedule, and post high quality engaging content highlighting community organizing and policy and research work.
- Attend and document community events for TreePeople’s social media content.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A master’s degree in an applied field such as urban planning, urban forestry, urban ecology, environmental science, public policy, public health or a related field.
- 1-3 years of experience in program development, project management, strategic communications, or community organizing.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute projects, from concept to completion.
- Considerable experience in environmental public policy, advocacy, communications, and community organizing.
- Demonstrated knowledge of urban forestry, urban soils, urban planning, community organizing, and approaches to build climate resilience in an urban setting.
- Knowledge of local and regional government agencies and nonprofit organizations.
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving skills; exceptional critical thinking capabilities.
- Ability to work in teams as well as independently, and to adapt in a dynamic, rapidly evolving field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate scientific and technical ideas or findings clearly with diverse stakeholders using simple, commonly accepted language.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, including efficient handling of deadlines and an ability to respond to quick-turnaround projects while producing high-quality results.
- Comfortable making presentations and presenting information in a compelling, informative, and persuasive fashion.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to handle challenging situations with tact and sensitivity.
- Intermediate to advanced experience with producing deliverables with Microsoft Office 365 programs including SharePoint, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as, Google Suite.
While performing the duties of this job, this position requires standing, walking, driving, as well as
the ability to lift, push or pull 15 pounds.
TreePeople is an equal opportunity employer.