New Wave Design & Verification is looking for a Senior Electrical Engineer to create innovative, high-end FPGA-based products.
The ideal candidate will have a degree in electrical engineering and an interest in developing high-performance products using the latest commercial technologies. The candidate should have strong problem solving and communication skills with a passion to learn and grow as an engineer, independently and as part of a team.
The Sr. Electrical Engineer position is responsible for the design and development of FPGA-based high-speed serial interface boards. This position requires a high level of experience and understanding of electrical engineering principles, including board-level design, power supply design, high-speed differential signaling, BOM creation, schematic design, and other related design tasks.
This position requires close collaboration with the engineering staff and project managers. Responsibilities include working with, guiding, and supervising lab and manufacturing technicians, and junior engineers to accomplish company goals. Knowledge of the FPGA development process, including RTL coding (VHDL or Verilog), synthesis, timing analysis, simulation, verification, and lab test / debug is highly desired.
- A Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Electrical or Computer Engineering is required for this position with a minimum of 7 years of experience.
- A Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering is desired, but not mandatory for this position with a minimum of 3 years of experience.
- A thorough understanding and broad application of technical standards, principles, theories, and techniques.
- Knowledge of communication protocols (e.g. PCIe, Ethernet, DDR, Fibre Channel, SCSI, I2C, AXI).
- Direct experience with Schematic capture.
- Understanding of high-density PCB materials, design methodologies, and controlled-impedance stackup generation.
- Understanding of product specifications and system requirements to create related test, verification & validation requirements.
- Thorough understanding of high frequency signal integrity effects and techniques.
- General lab equipment operation (DMM, oscilloscope, logic & bus analyzers, device programmers).
- Hardware circuit design including FPGAs, DACs, ADCs, microprocessors, memories, linear and switching voltage regulators.
- Experience with Mil/Aero standards and applications is highly desirable.
- Full responsibility for taking product designs from engineering into a production-ready state.
- Create documentation including requirement specifications, test protocols, reports, ECOs.
- Actively participate with engineering in the Design, Implementation, Validation, Release, and Support phases and represent Test & Manufacturing group’s interests.
- Lead or participate in peer and cross-functional design reviews with consideration towards risk mitigation, reliability, maintainability, DFM, testability, etc.
- Understanding and ability to design products for harsh environments including shock/vibration and thermal.
- Coordinate with suppliers and customers (internal and external).
- Resolve product integration issues.
Other Desired Skills & Abilities
- Experience with Cadence Allegro design tools.
- Understanding of real-time embedded systems.
- Experience designing per VITA 47 environmental standards, and agency certifications such as FCC, UL, CE, etc.
- Experience with VPX and XMC form factors
- FPGA/CPLD logic design, synthesis and simulation.
- HDL coding (VHDL, Verilog, System Verilog).
- FPGA tools (Xilinx/AMD, Intel/Altera, Microsemi/Microchip).
- Simulation tools (e.g. ModelSim).
- Timing analysis.
- Familiarity with advanced verification techniques such as coverage driven testing, assertions, and formal verification.
- Experience with the decomposition, traceability, and verification of digital design requirements.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to articulate and present ideas internally/externally.
- Previous project leadership is a plus.
- Familiarity with JIRA is a plus.
- Defense experience is a plus.
Due to the type of work at our facilities and certain access restrictions, successful applicants must be of a "U.S. Person". The candidate must be able to prove so, with remittance of proper identification supporting so, upon an acceptance of employment.