This is a FULL TIME, ONSITE, DIRECT HIRE POSITION in Bethlehem, PA.
The scope of responsibility for this position is to support all functional activities related to the automated control systems utilized in ABEC’s biopharmaceutical manufacturing systems and related equipment. This includes Conceptual Design, Project Scope Definition, Development & Review of System Specifications, Programming of PLC, HMI and DCS components, Testing, Verification and Validation of systems, as well as all related documentation requirements. The Automation Manager is also responsible for supporting the company’s Service Business Unit for customer service activities that include automation system upgrades, retrofits and repairs, as well as conceptual design and engineering services.
This position directly manages a group of Automation Engineers, Electrical Engineers. and Automation Technicians at multiple ABEC sites, and coordinates with both the Project Management and Manufacturing functions to execute services ranging from assistance with sales/service proposals & presentations, to on-site support of system start-ups, commissioning, and related customer training.
- Paid holidays and vacation time
- Medical, dental and vision insurance (benefits start day 1)
- Company paid life insurance
- Generous 401K plan (40% match)
- College tuition benefit program
- Employee Referral Program
- Plan, coordinate and manage all material, labor and facility resources of the Automation Department.
- Complete the design, development, programming, testing and implementation of automated equipment control systems in compliance with the related engineering specifications, quality requirements, budgeted labor costs, and committed delivery schedule of each respective project.
- Create, maintain and report a comprehensive project schedule reflecting allocation of departmental resources to all current and anticipated equipment or service-related projects.
- Coordinate with Project Management to meet hardware, software and documentation requirements in conformance with project specifications and schedule timelines.
- Primary driver of process improvement activities in all automation-related areas, focusing on integration of “Best Practices” in design.
- Programming and documentation to produce measurable improvements in costs, lead times and overall product quality. This includes development of short-, mid-, and long-term strategies, as well as detailed operational plans for implementation and quantifying/reporting of results.
- Develop a high level of functional leadership throughout the Automation Department. This includes cross-training and specialized skill development to create a highly flexible workforce whose resources can be shifted to meet the spontaneous needs of the company and global marketplace.
- Provide automation system cost & lead time estimates to support both project and service-related sales quotations.
- Interface and coordinate with Project Management and Product Management to ensure a technically feasible and commercially competitive product offering.
- Drive integration of leading-edge technologies and new product platforms for both hardware and software to provide greater breadth & depth of ABEC’s automation and electrical controls-related capabilities to serve applications in biopharmaceutical and other selected industries.
- Participation in various internal committees, review teams, or similar work groups engaged in either operational or administrative process creation, review or improvement efforts. This includes areas such as Plant Safety, Syteline (ERP System), Process Review Board, Strategic Initiatives Program, and others.
- Ensure adherence, and enforcement, of all company policies (Safety, Human Resources, IT, or other).
- Conduct employee training as needed to support communication and understanding of new policies or policy changes.
- Conduct formal annual employee reviews to provide feedback on established performance criteria and identify areas for improvement and/or additional development/training. More frequent periodic reviews may be needed for new or developing employees.
- Execute other tasks as assigned.
- Ability to travel when required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering discipline (preferably Electrical, Electronics, Chemical or Manufacturing Engineering), with an advanced degree (Business, Management or related technical discipline) preferred.
- Consideration will be given to individuals who may not have the specified depth of educational background, but have extensive operational experience deemed to satisfy the overall requirements of the position.
- Minimum of (10) years prior experience in automation engineering-related position with at least 5 years in a management role, preferably involving highly engineered technical products incorporating customized machine control hardware/software integration.
- Ideal candidate would have a background in biotech or chemical industry, or experience with custom automation system design and implementation of a similar scale and complexity.
- Certification in Lean Manufacturing/Six Sigma is highly desirable.
Company Background: ABEC is a leading supplier to the biopharmaceutical manufacturing industry. ABEC's unique value is based on combining long experience with the ability to engineer, design, manufacture, commission, qualify, and service the entire bioprocess to reduce overall cost, shorten time to market, and maximize productivity. ABEC's products include process and equipment engineering/consulting services, comprehensive site services, bioreactors and fermenters, filtration and chromatography systems, prep and hold systems, and cleaning/sterilization systems.