FT Administrator - Coach
Administer a competitive Division I Women’s Lacrosse program that adheres to all University, A-Sun, and NCAA rules and regulations while providing a safe and accepting environment for student-athletes to grow and develop academically, athletically and one which encourages personal responsibility, sportsmanship and service to others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(1) Coordinate and performing coaching duties including pre-season conditioning, practice, game preparation, field/floor coaching, and post season activities.
(2) Operate the program in compliance with University, A-Sun, and NCAA rules and regulations.
(3) Comply with Sports Medicine policies and procedures stated in the Athletic Staff and Student-Athlete manuals.
(4) Administer a successful student-athlete recruitment program.
(5) Retain student-athletes in program, maintain team continuity, and garner student-athlete satisfaction with the program. (Review Team Attrition Information)
(6) In consultation with Athletic Director (or designee), select, supervise, and retain assistant coach(s) or support staff.
(7) Demonstrate concern and support for academic performances of student-athletes on the team. (Review Graduation Rate Information/ APR. and Team Academic Progress Report)
(8) Administer sound budget practices.
(9) Follow department equipment procedures.
(10) Follow department Facilities and Vehicle Request procedures.
(11) Field a team that is competitive athletically (finish in upper division of league- winning record).
(12) Field a team whose racial or ethnic composition is reflective of the University’s undergraduate full-time enrollment population.
(13) Administer travel and per diem allowances as outlined in the staff manual.
(14) Provide an annual schedule of competition that meets the guideline outlined in the staff manual and enables the team to travel to away contest in a reasonable and safe manner.
(15) Serve as public relations lead including attendance at athletic department functions and special events.
Other duties as assigned.
BS Degree required in physical eduation, recreation, health or related field or equivilent plus 4-5 years’ experience with college level program or as a high school head coach. Must have knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations. Computer skills helpful.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Must be able to travel extensively
Must be able to drive 15 passenger vans
Must be willing and able to work evenings and weekends
Job requires repetitively lifting light weight objects where frequent bending or stooping alternates with lighter activities.
Occasional exposure to objectionable conditions or variations such as those found in variable weather conditions or light industrial settings.
Valid driver’s license
Must be able to pass NCAA recruiting test
Commensurate with experience
8:30 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday with evenings and weekends as necessary
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private University, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University’s mission, diversity, and excellence of its academic community. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.