The Nursing Director will further the mission of Roundup River Ranch by ensuring the safety, health and wellbeing of campers and their families at Roundup River Ranch during on-site programming. This is a full-time opportunity for a uniquely qualified and experienced nurse with pediatric experience. This position requires a highly motivated team player who finds working with children with serious medical conditions to be rewarding. Because of the complex and highly detailed application process to bring campers and volunteer nurses to camp, there is a strong administrative component to the position.
This position must have the ability to flex between residential and on-call availability based on camper care needs, medical volunteer scheduling, and emergent needs while balancing personal clinical practice needs. This position is required to be on-site during camp sessions and activities, including regular business needs, trainings, arrival days, fundraisers, in-person camper reunions, and similar activities to support medical programming and camp activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
MEDICAL CARE AND RECRUITMENT
- Review camper applications and ensure coordination of camper’s medical needs during their time at camp by collaborating with supporting departments and referring providers
- Provide for the general health and well-being of all campers, by anticipating medical needs and program adaptation needs for campers with special medical diagnoses
- Communicate anticipated medical and program adaptation needs with the appropriate camp and medical team members to ensure a safe and inclusive camp experience for each camper.
- Provide clinical care education, training, supervision and back-up on-call coverage to ensure that the nursing staff and medical volunteers are supported in providing routine and emergent clinical care to campers
- In collaboration with the Medical Director, ensure the medical center has appropriate equipment and supplies are available and maintained; medical records are updated and maintained, and the facility is in good repair and functions to meet camper, volunteer, and staff needs
- Ensure the security of all medications and the safety of medication supply and distribution.
- Build relationships with camper families and referring medical teams to ensure open communication and a team approach to referrals and care.
- Coordinate medical check-in and check-out of campers, their medications, medical supplies and equipment, at camp and remotely if transported by bus.
- Ensure processes and appropriate staffing levels are in place to provide medical supervision of campers during bus transportation to and from Camp.
- Create and support the medical staffing model for each session including: creating the schedules for Depot coverage, on-call coverage, cabin nurse assignments and medical staffing at high risk activity areas.
ADMINISTRATION AND COMPLIANCE
- Ensure that all aspects of the nursing care of campers reflects the Mission, Vision & Values of Roundup River Ranch
- In partnership with the Medical Director, proactively take the steps necessary to maintain full medical compliance and meet medical licensing requirements for the camp and its nursing staff.
- Maintain compliance and best practice in all aspects of State of Colorado childcare licensing requirements, SeriousFun Children’s Network Safety Standards, and American Camp Association accreditation standards that relate to nursing care at Roundup River Ranch.
- Partner with the Medical Director in updating and implementing all camp medical policies and procedures, including crisis and emergency management protocols. This includes overseeing an annual feedback and input process with volunteers and the Medical Advisory Committee as appropriate.
- Coordinate with Medical Director, Admissions Department, and Human Resources to recruit, hire, train, supervise, and support medical volunteers and seasonal staff.
- Assist with development of the medical department budget and ensure that all expenses are managed within the budget.
- Represent Roundup River Ranch medical best practices and collaborate with the SeriousFun Children’s Network.
- This position is required to maintain at least 120 hours active pediatric clinical skills through ongoing practice in an external clinical setting throughout the year.
- The Nursing Director cultivates and stewards new and existing strategic medical partnerships, in close collaboration with development staff and the Medical Advisory Committee.
- As needed, attend Development events including annual fundraisers, cultivation events, and other opportunities to raise awareness for Roundup River Ranch, building and strengthening external contacts and collaborations that benefit campers.
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality in all aspects of role, including all medical information and records.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate the Guideposts in all aspects of work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with multiple teams, volunteers, and advisory groups
- Ability to prioritize quickly and work within deadlines
- Clinical proficiency with medical procedures, equipment, protocols used at camp (IV access, central venous and port access, G-tubes, oxygen concentrators, CPAP/BiPAP equipment, and pumps) and ability to teach others.
- Must be comfortable using a computer including navigating camper database, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 5 years of clinical nursing experience (pediatric ICU or ER experience preferred)
- BSN required, State of CO Registered Nursing license (or in the process of applying)
- Current appropriate certifications are required to support emergency pediatric and adult care- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS)
- Active and ongoing clinical experience required, with a minimum of 120 hours a year, to maintain and develop skills needed to support camper medical needs
- Minimum of 3 years clinical nursing experience
- Minimum 2 years management or leadership experience
- Residential summer camp experience in a medical role is preferred.
- Office Based / Indoors 75%+
- Desk / Computer work 75%+
- Sitting 50-75%
- Outdoors 25%
- Standing 25-50%
- Walking / Moving 25-50%+
- Lifting / carrying Up to 50lbs
- Driving Occasional
Special Conditions This is a full-time year-round position with significant time demands in the camp season. The Nursing Director is expected to be residential at the camp in Gypsum, CO when the camp is in session. The year-round office is at the campsite in Gypsum.
Roundup River Ranch camp and medical staff will be expected to:
- Be able to identify emergency situations, either by seeing them happen, hearing cries for help, or hearing the emergency alert siren and bell.
- Have the strength, endurance, and physical skills to respond quickly and appropriately to emergency situations, according to written emergency procedures and plans.
- Be able to demonstrate or participate in camp activities as they medically supervise campers: this will require the ability to walk, sit, climb, kneel, crouch, stoop, and stand.
- Be able to move items or people. This will require strength and mobility to push, pull, lift, and carry.
Reasonable accommodations on the above expectations may be met. The intention is to ensure camp staff are able to physically care for campers and ensure appropriate emergency response at all times.