Are you passionate about education and college access for high school students? Do you love helping students plan out their future, whether it be in college, trade school, or the military? Good news for you! Fulfillment Fund Las Vegas is hiring a College Counselor for an immediate opening!
The starting salary range for the position of College Counselor is $53,000 - $55,000 per year, DOE. All serious College Counselor applicants are encouraged to read this entire posting before applying.
Fulfillment Fund Las Vegas Introduction
Fulfillment Fund Las Vegas is dedicated to inspiring first-generation students and removing barriers to post-secondary graduation. Las Vegas is not known for being a college-driven city, but at Fulfillment Fund Las Vegas, we believe this community is ready for change. Together, we’re creating hope for the future by helping hundreds of young people achieve their post-secondary dreams. Fulfillment Fund Las Vegas is committed to helping students finish high school and guiding them to and through their post-secondary dreams.
We are Deeply Committed to Equity & Diversity
Fulfillment Fund Las Vegas strives to recruit a diverse team of leaders. We believe there is a transformative academic and social benefit for students when their Advisors, Counselors, and Leaders reflect a diversity of backgrounds. Our staff members agree that the organization provides a welcoming environment, given their background and identity.
The College Counselor will ensure that all Fulfillment Fund Las Vegas high school students know high school graduation requirements, college eligibility, admissions requirements, and financial aid/scholarships. The College Counselor will support students through a graduation plan and provide post-secondary options knowledge. This role is critical to the engagement and follow-up support of students and their families at partner schools and partner organizations. The ideal candidate for the College Counselor role will have the foundational knowledge to help students and families navigate the complex processes of pursuing higher education.
College Counselor's Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for coordinating, implementing, and supervising day-to-day college counseling needs.
- Responsible for overseeing college advisement for all Fulfillment Fund Las Vegas high school students, creating & implementing programs, and meeting both individually and/or in small groups with students during their junior and senior years.
- Help students formulate individualized college or post-secondary access plans.
- Encourage students to find their strengths and abilities.
- Help students apply/submit FAFSA and evaluate financial aid packages, as well as provide options and alternatives to these post-secondary plans.
- Advise high school students on course selection, admissions testing, the building of a co-curricular profile to make themselves more attractive to colleges.
- Enter student’s college counseling data in the Fulfillment Fund Las Vegas database. Analyze and interpret data for trends, knowledge sharing, and continuous improvement of services.
- Build and maintain relationships with students, individual colleges, partner non-profits, high school personnel, and other outside agencies.
- Perform ongoing research on pressing educational issues and best practices related to college access.
- Participate in ongoing college access professional development training.
- Act as a Fulfillment Fund Las Vegas liaison and partner with organizations and institutions both at the local and national levels; act as the internal Fulfillment Fund Las Vegas coordinator for special opportunities offered by colleges for FFLV students to visit or attend universities for special programs.
- Participate in college trips when deemed necessary sponsored by the Program Events department and others.
- Assume a major role with Individualized College Tours, Group College (local/regional) Site Visits, Personal Statement Writing Workshops, Application Workshops, Financial Aid Workshops, Parent Program, and other workshops and activities.
- Assist in the college counseling training of Program Staff members. Advise the Outreach Program Team in the execution of the curriculum related to college counseling.
- Facilitate financial aid training for staff. Provide financial aid counseling for students and families.
- Assist with Transfer advisement, when needed.
- Other duties may be assigned at the discretion of the College Counselor Manager or the Director of Programs that are related to the fundamental aspects of the College Counselor or related positions.
Qualifications for College Counselor Applicants:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities for College Counselor Applicants:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proficiency in the use of standard information technologies including Microsoft Office 365 software, the worldwide web, and student database.
- In-depth understanding of the college prep course work tracking and the college admissions process.
- Broad understanding of financial aid services and application process
- Knowledge about specific colleges and their specialties and programs.
- Bilingual Spanish/English language skills are extremely desirable.
- Awareness and understanding of first-generation college issues are extremely desirable.
- Proven ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a team.
Education and/or Experience:
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree or greater in education, sociology, counseling, or a related field; a Master’s Degree is desired, but not required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
A current Nevada State-issued Driver’s License and current automobile insurance coverage.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; on occasion, climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to lift, up to 25 pounds. The vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to excessive heat, wet and/or humid outside conditions. The noise level in the environment is moderate and at times, high.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. Scheduled hours may change based on business needs. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.
The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug-free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
We are an EOE and a Drug-Free Workplace. The Company offers a robust health and wellness benefit program along with a variety of other benefits, including PTO, Paid Holidays, Tuition Reimbursement, Employee Referral Bonuses, and Professional Development Allowances.
Cover letters that address all qualification questions and a brief professional summary are greatly appreciated.