About the Organization
Canal Alliance exists to break the generational cycle of poverty for Latino immigrants and their families by lifting barriers to their success.
Canal Alliance is a nonprofit champion of immigrants who are challenged by a lack of resources and an unfamiliar environment. Every day, we educate, empower, support, and partner with motivated immigrants to best meet all their unique needs—from putting food on the table, to becoming American citizens, to learning English, to graduating from college
Canal Alliance strives for a trauma-informed collaborative and inclusive culture. We invest in high quality services, professional development, and work-life balance.
The Supervising Attorney, Affirmative Unit, supervises the staff attorney, paralegals and DOJ Accredited Representatives, among other staff in the Affirmative Unit. They will maintain a caseload representing clients before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR). The Supervising Attorney is responsible for training, mentoring and supervising staff attorneys, DOJ Accredited Representatives, and paralegals. The Supervising Attorney will work in a collaborative and trauma informed environment delivering high quality service. This is a full-time, exempt position. The Supervising Attorney of the Affirmative Unit reports to the Senior Supervising Attorney of the Affirmative Unit.
- Conduct client intakes, consultations, provide eligibility assessment, develop case strategy, and represent individuals before the Executive Office of Immigration Review (non-detained children) and before USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) in a variety of humanitarian applications
- Train, mentor and supervise staff attorneys, paralegals, and other staff in the Affirmative Unit
- Assign and help supervisees manage caseload in a manner that supports work-life balance
- Assure all cases are filed timely in accordance with departmental policies and grant deliverable timelines
- Comply with ILS policies, procedures, and best practices including entering data into our case management software (LawLogix), collecting fees, executing contracts with clients, and filing applications in a timely manner
- Compile client data for reporting requirements
- Lead weekly affirmative unit meetings, and one-on-one check in meetings with supervisees
- Participate in regular peer review meetings, ILS department meetings, all staff meetings, and quarterly all-staff retreats
- Attend immigration legal trainings and behavioral health trainings as needed
- Participate in other team and agency meetings
- Assist Senior Supervising Attorney in improving effective and efficient inter and intra agency referral systems.
- J.D. and a member in good standing of any state bar
- Bilingual -English and Spanish- fluency
- Minimum of 3 years of experience representing clients before EOIR and USCIS
- Minimum of 1 year of experience as a supervisor
- Able to sit for an extended period of time and sufficient mobility to work in standard office/courtroom settings
- Canal Alliance requires all staff be COVID vaccinated with the exception of those who have medical or religious beliefs exemptions
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational, communication, writing and analytical skills
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and excel in working individually/remotely, as well as in a team setting
- Commitment to serving immigrants and sensitivity to the needs of low-income, vulnerable clients
- Experience working with LawLogix or other legal case management software
This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits. We offer a competitive salary range from $92k-$96k with a benefits package that includes:
- 3 weeks paid vacation per year
- 12 days of sick leave per year
- 4 Wellness Days per year (one per quarter)
- Paid Birthday each year
- 16 paid holidays per year
- 100% paid employee medical & dental insurance, life insurance, LTD, and EAP
- 403(b)-retirement plan with employer match of up to 4% after 3 months of employment.
- Voluntary benefits include FSA, vision, life, and pet insurance, as well as coverage for dependents.
- Telehealth for physical and mental health
This position is hybrid, requiring 2-3 days per week in office, and attendance at quarterly in-person staff retreats.
Canal Alliance Equity and Inclusion Statement
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities.