Title – Field Controls Engineer Reports to – Field Service Manager
Date Written/Revised –5/2023 Direct Reports – N/A
Objectives of this Role
- Provide professional equipment commissioning, troubleshooting, analysis, site acceptance and customer support services for a complete range of ESS Technologies products.
- Commission equipment at customer’s facility as required.
- Provide customer remote support for troubleshooting, analysis, and solving complex inquiries from customers.
- Deepen the understanding of products, customers, goals, organization, and business strategies, evaluating systems and processes, and identifying improvement needs.
- Design, develop and implement equipment control systems and subsystems for multiple simultaneous projects following established design standards and practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Incorporate standard control designs and ancillary subsystems to efficiently design and manufacture in a manner that meets project requirements and facilitates safe, productive startup, operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment using established design standards.
- Commission equipment, including final acceptance, prior to shipment.
- Commission equipment at customer’s facility as required.
- Provide satisfactory field support which will includes travel to customer locations up to 80% to ensure satisfactory operation of machines, production support, and training.
- Meet ESS Technologies quality standards while maintaining working knowledge of relevant technologies and best practices.
- Provide direction to electrical, assembly, and service as required for execution of designs.
- Develop and implement processes that improve manufacturing production and deliver quality outputs.
- Meet project Quality Plan requirements and project schedules for controls.
- Attend all department and process driven meetings.
- Contribute as a member of a team of design professionals to achieve project, department, and company goals.
- Creating or modifying existing simulations for modifications to existing ESS Technologies equipment.
- Build professional skill through continued training, education, and networking events.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management.
Skills and Qualifications
- BS in Engineering, Associates degree in applied technology, completed mechanical/electrical apprenticeship, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience in a field service capacity or 1+ years of experience in a design-build manufacturing environment as a controls engineer.
- Must maintain a valid enhanced driver’s license and/or passport for travel.
- Experience applying PLC-based programming languages to control and monitor industrial machinery and/or industrial processes.
- Allen-Bradley Studio/ RSLogix5000, FactoryTalk View Studio experience strongly preferred.
- Fanuc experience strongly preferred.
- Project management experience preferred.
- Advanced training/education in engineering, leadership and project management preferred.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, with attention to detail.
- Strong sense of personal accountability regarding meeting deadlines.
- Microsoft technology and relevant design and life cycle management software.
- Ability to operate computer.
- Manual dexterity sufficient for constant use of a keyboard, mouse, and telephone. Speech and hearing sufficient for regular communications. Vision sufficient for use of a computer monitor and transaction documents.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to perform climbing, stooping, crouching, walking, grasping, talking, hearing and repetitive motions.
- Executing up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and or 10 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Close mental and visual requirements needed to perform work dealing primarily with Engineering, management, and manufacturing.
- Ability to plan, schedule, train, check and evaluate work.
- Ability to troubleshoot (electrical/ programs/machine).
- Work Environment
- While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The passage of employees through the work area is average and normal.
All employees are responsible for product quality and are required to understand and follow quality system procedures. All employees have the responsibility, organizational freedom, and authority to initiate action to prevent the occurrence of any non-conformities relating to product, process, and quality system.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
ESS Technologies, Inc. is part of the Pacteon group which also includes Schneider Packaging Equipment Co., Inc. and Phoenix Wrappers. Pacteon Group’s purpose is to automate the supply of life’s products. We believe and live our Core Values, our iPact:
Integrity – Trust makes everything more efficient, build trust through honesty and transparency
Pride – Know that we will live the Pacteon Promise for our customers, selves, owners and communities
Accountable – Say what we do and do what we say
Customer Focus – We listen with purpose, respond with urgency and deliver with quality
Teamwork – Together everyone accomplishes more
Our Pacteon Promise is that “We make it right”. As our customer’s one source for end of line packaging solutions, everyone plays an important role to make that happen. For more information on Pacteon, please visit pacteon.com.