Toole Design Group in Edmonton, AB is looking to hire an experienced and talented full-time Transportation Project Engineer. Do you have a strong background in transportation engineering design? Are you passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on people centered, multimodal projects and construction documents that make communities more livable and equitable? Would you like to work for a firm that is committed to the well-being of its employees? If so, please consider joining our team in Edmonton.
This Project Engineer position with a focus on multimodal transportation design earns a competitive salary and great benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, employee coaching, and employer matching registered retirement savings plan (RRSP). We practice what we preach and ensure that our employees also have access to sustainable transportation by providing them with financial incentives to bike, walk, or use transit for a better quality of life.
About Toole Design
Toole Design is the leading engineering, planning, and landscape architecture firm specializing in multimodal transportation. Since our start in 2003 as a single office in Maryland, we have expanded throughout the United States and Canada. Our talented team of planners, landscape architects and engineers are committed to delivering quality work that meets the needs of all people, regardless of age, ability, race or gender. We have been named a "best firm to work for" and have one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
Every project our employees deliver directly and positively affects our communities. We are industry-leading experts, and we work hard to encourage a collaborative and team-oriented environment.
A Day in the Life of a Transportation Project Engineer
You are at the forefront of brainstorming creative solutions for challenging projects alongside an interdisciplinary team. You’ll use state of the art tools and practices to help create sustainable, people centered, multimodal transportation infrastructure. You will be producing design document production for the design of streets, active transportation facilities, and Vision Zero safety projects from concept plans and design development to detailed final design plans for construction projects. Toole Design currently operates multiple CAD and engineering design software platforms, including AutoCAD and MicroStation. You participate in business development pursuits through building relationships and consistently delivering projects of the highest quality. Your job can sometimes be challenging, but you get to work with a close-knit team and a broader network of colleagues across North America that are passionate about the work and communities we serve. In an industry that is constantly changing, you will be a leader in designing and implementing real solutions.
Work Schedule for a Transportation Project Engineer
This full-time position typically works a flexible schedule of 40 hours a week. We also provide employees with the flexibility and necessary equipment to work from home 2-3 days per week. The Edmonton office is downtown near multiple LRT stations and bus routes and is conveniently located along the Downtown Bike Network. Our office location supports sustainable commuting by our staff and is a short walking distance to our clients, services, restaurants, and parks as well as the River Valley. The Vancouver team works a flexible
Ready to Join our Edmonton Team?
We understand your time is valuable, so we have a quick and easy application process. If you feel that you would be right for this Project Engineer position, please fill out our application by clicking on the link on this page.
At Toole Design, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
We’re proud that about half of our managers are women and we are committed to achieving racial diversity in our leadership as well. Toole Design is a woman-owned business and an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer).
Qualifications of a Project Engineer:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s in civil engineering or related field, a focus on transportation engineering is a plus
- Must be a registered member of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.)
- 4 plus years’ experience in engineering discipline, with at least 2 years of transportation related experience, we anticipate the experience needed for this position could be in the 4 – 10 years range
- Project Management experience on small projects or experience managing project tasks is preferred
- A broad knowledge base in aspects of street design and understanding of civil engineering drawings
- Strong proficiency in Computer Aided Design software (AutoCAD and/or MicroStation, both preferred)
- Specific knowledge of roadway geometric design or streetscape design
- Interest in multimodal transportation issues and design (specifically for bicycle, pedestrian, Safe Routes to School, Complete Streets, Vision Zero, and/or transit integration)
- Excellent task and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across disciplines
- Experience with the Microsoft Office suite of applications
It would be a plus if you had:
- Knowledge of civil engineering design software: Civil 3D, OpenRoads, Inroads, and/or Geopak
- A broad knowledge base in street design and urban multimodal planning§ Experience conducting public outreach and engagement
- Experience working with multidisciplinary teams and multi-phased projects
- Experience with bicycle and pedestrian projects
- Prior experience at a consulting firm, public entity, non-profit or higher learning institution
- Experience in construction or construction observation
- Experience in graphic production in both 2D and 3D using Sketchup and the Adobe Creative suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) including data visualization, mapping, and document layout
You’ll be great here if:
- You understand both the art and science of communicating people centered design intent via CAD drawings and other graphical materials
- You are committed to supporting our multi-disciplinary team to prepare high quality, graphically consistent, and technically accurate deliverables
- You are eager to learn and interested in developing your design proficiency in addition to CAD skills
- You enjoy building meaningful relationships across disciplines and between offices
- You are detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills
- You’re motivated to tackle new challenges and develop creative solutions
- You are passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on challenging multimodal projects that make communities more livable and want to develop and implement projects that will have an immediate impact on communities
- You enjoy producing high-quality work products and seeing your projects get built