- IT’S ALL ABOUT THE JOB -
A.K.A. YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Produce Manager
DEPARTMENT: Produce FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Operations Leader TYPE: Full-Time
WHO ARE WE?
The Woodstock Farmers’ Market is the area’s premier year-round, fresh food-focused grocery store. We are committed to creating and selling the best products sourced locally and globally, ethically, and sustainably. We hire only the most service-oriented people who appreciate a fun, fair, drama-free workplace, and share our CORE VALUES:
- Come with an empty cup: have humility
- Sit at the table together: be collaborative
- Do the right thing—always: be honest, accountable and have integrity
- Always hungry: relentlessly get stuff done
- Fish Cakes: think outside the box to creatively solve problems
- Bright side: always be positive
The Produce Departments in both locations, Waterbury VT and Woodstock VT, play pivotal roles in the overall bounty and atmosphere of the store. Our mission is to sell the freshest produce, organic and local, when possible, with great attention to variety, competitive pricing, weekly promotions, cleanliness, large beautiful appealing displays—all of which create an energetic atmosphere conducive to high volume sales. We do this with the customer as priority, with attention to special orders, education, recipes, and customer interaction.
The Produce Manager plans, directs, and coordinates operations of the Produce Department. They participate in all facets of the produce department including ordering, pricing and costing, inspecting for quality, stocking, daily merchandising, and weekly display changes as well as the scheduling of the staff.
OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE!
- Scheduling staff, organizing, and supervising shifts and workload
- Hire, train and evaluate staff according to WFM’s Core Values
- Maintain WFM’s high standards of quality
- Be able to execute all produce tasks and train and coach others to do so
- Maintain WFM’s high standards of cleanliness and sanitation
- Attend weekly Operations meetings
- Making and maintaining large and beautiful displays daily
- Coordinating with Waterbury Produce Manager
- Appraising staff performance and providing feedback to improve productivity
- Ordering from multiple vendors/farmers, constructing daily orders and creating a daily inventory
- Establishing positive relationships with farmers in our area; making new contacts with new farmers
- Working directly with the Prep Foods Manager on the timing of produce culls and processing those as transfer items to the kitchen—deciphering what is useable for prepared foods and what is waste. Those decisions often require quick thinking and cooperation between departments
- Being responsible for financial success in both sales, COG and staff budgeting; adhering to and establishing annual visions, sales and COG goals and project objectives for department based on annual Market vision and strategy
- Monthly, weekly and day planning which requires quick merchandising decisions and good relationship/communication with other managers
- Weekly display planning considering WFM marketing campaigns as well as local purchasing opportunities
As is more often than not the case, keep in mind that "of utmost importance” describes the general nature and level of work performed in your job. They should not be construed as an exhaustive listing of all job duties and responsibilities by employees so classified.
OF COURSE THERE ARE OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES
Requires work with others in a group or team, external customers, face-to-face discussions with individuals or teams.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO SUCCEED
BE CALM UNDER PRESSURE
Focus on the issue at hand | Provide staff and guests with great service | Make multiple decisions in the heat of the moment | Resolve conflicts with diplomacy?
Appreciate other’s ideas | Enjoy listening and engaging with others in order to make final decisions | Put team before self | Work successfully within a team |Direct small teams | Must understand the total Market picture: Service is what we do and without great service we are nothing ???
BE A COMPUTER PRO
Possess working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs | Work with Excel spreadsheets and Payroll software
BE AN EXCELLENT LEADER
Follow WFM Servant Leadership model | Possess humility | Have the heart of a teacher/mentor | Actively look for ways to help others | Use mindful and positive conflict resolution | Motivate and help create a positive work environment for staff | Maintain a standard of outstanding WFM work habits.?
Quick thinking in a fast-paced environment |Love a high-volume buzzing work environment?
BE A FINANCIAL WHIZ
Have a love of numbers and strong math skills |Have a strong grasp of financials
BE A STRONG COMMUNICATOR
Listen more, talk less | Seek first to understand | Clearly articulate and set directions | Catch them “doing it right” | Give positive and constructive feedback | Lean in to difficult conversations, don’t avoid them | Turn difficult conversations into a “win” for the Market?
BE A SRONG TIME MANAGER?
Meet tight deadlines | Expect others to meet their deadlines?
BE ORGANIZED AND DETAIL ORIENTED
Prioritize projects and keep them moving forward | Delegate to others, as appropriate |?Make small things count | Catch errors and/or mistakes early on | Triple check your work | Observe, ask questions??
BE A TOP-NOTCH PLANNER
Strong Day Planning and Long-Range Planning Skills | Understand daily and weekly task lists | Task prioritization skills | Ability to anticipate and schedule for busy and slow times
BE AN OUTSTANDING MODEL FOR SANITATION
Maintain highest standards of cleanliness and sanitation in kitchen and storage areas | Run a clean, tidy and safe work environment | Be extremely sensitive about cleaning and food safety issues in all areas
BE A GENUINE LOVER OF GREAT FOOD
Enjoy making great Market-style food and/or merchandising great Market-style food | Have an eye for and create beautiful displays | Make great decisions regarding quality
BE AN EXCELLENT PROVIDER OF SERVICE
Have a genuine love of providing great service to others | actively look for ways to help others while enjoying it
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO DO BE ABLE TO DO – with or without an accommodation
Frequently raise or lower objects up to 40 pounds from one level to another regularly |Remain on feet in upright position for continuous periods of time |Walk throughout store, including to other buildings and outdoor areas | Exerting force on a regular basis so object is moved to or from team member | Carrying objects up to 50 pounds on a regular basis | Grasping and/or picking up objects | Regularly reaching for objects | Bending forward by bending at waist or bending legs and spine
WHAT THE WORK ENVIRONMENT IS LIKE
It is tight! Not quite being packed in like sardines, but pretty close sometimes. It may be necessary to step outside depending on the task at hand or walk between buildings. Be prepared for all weather conditions. That means from time to time you will need a raincoat, warm outerwear, boots, and an appreciation of Vermont’s beautiful and changing weather!
MAINTAINING A CLEAN & SANITARY WORK ENVIRONMENT
Follow all safety and health protocols | Housekeeping is important | Tidy up your workspace regularly | Wipe down frequently touched surfaces | Pick up items on the floor that could be trip/fall hazards.
MORE ABOUT YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION
It is not a contract of employment | Employment remains at will | Performing all or some of the job to expectation is not a promise or guarantee of continued employment |Any responsibilities can be temporarily or permanently changed or modified at any time in the Market’s sole discretion, with or without prior notice to our staff | Changes may be made with or without being in writing | Employees may be required to perform other jobs for The Market even if not within this job or this department | This describes the general nature and level of work performed in this job | Understand this should not be construed as an exhaustive listing of all job duties and responsibilities of employees so classified.
WHAT’S IMPORTANT TO HAVE
Must be 18 or older
Must have a genuine love of providing great service to others
3+ years’ work experience in a high-volume retail store
WHAT’S NICE TO HAVE
The more experience, the better!