STRIVE is a national leader in creating pathways to economic opportunity for predominantly low-income Black and Brown communities. Serving adults of all different ages, genders, races, and justice-involved backgrounds, STRIVE's proven model accelerates graduates toward career advancement and upward mobility. Since its founding in 1984, STRIVE has helped more than 80,000 graduates prepare for career success through their free programs. See the STRIVE Difference in this 3-minute video or learn more at strive.org.
STRIVE is active in 13 U.S. locations: in three directly-operated sites and through 10 licensed partners across the country. STRIVE is pursuing an ambitious growth plan to expand our impact in current and new cities.
The Employment Specialist will work in collaboration with their Future Leaders program colleagues to understand labor market information, staffing needs, develop and implement proactive, innovative job placement strategies for young adults entering the workforce. The Employment Specialist will strategically engage active and alumni participants, assess and select qualified young adults to be referred as candidates for open positions, employment searches, including networking and cultivating a talent pipeline with local employers. The position temporarily operates within a hybrid workweek, with in-person days in the East Harlem office. Employees must be vaccinated against COVID.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with fellow program staff members to ensure a constant flow of qualified young adults prepared for open positions and career advancement.
- Emphasize lessons that help promote workforce readiness standards and career exploration.
- Strategically assess and match young adults with career-oriented and sector-based employment opportunities.
- Develop and maintain career-based internship locations in a wide range of fields.
- Identify and follow through on opportunities for employer engagement that support participant's transition to employment.
- Communicate with young adults regarding new job opportunities.
- Develop talent pipelines with local employers for future hiring needs.
- Seek potential employment ads on job boards, news outlets, and other internet venues.
- Develop and communicate referral and hiring incentive programs that are effective and engaging.
- Develop and disseminate marketing materials that maintain consistency of branding and communication of the STRIVE young adult initiative used for outreach to employers interested in hiring program participants.
- Provide retention services for one year, ensuring that participants stay on their career plan and prepare for potential career and educational advancement.
- Performs additional duties and projects as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience working with people of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with different levels of academic preparation and varying physical and learning abilities.
- Experience with Learning Management Systems (LMS) and or knowledge management platforms, high level of digital literacy, and comfort troubleshooting and coaching young adults to access STRIVE training materials.
Relevant Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree encouraged or proven track record as a young adult practitioner.
- Experience working with justice impacted young adults or out of school/work young adults strongly preferred.
- Experience and or knowledge of local labor market demands and workforce development boards is required.
- Knowledge and experience of young adults' development needs required.
- Excellent written/verbal communication with the ability to interact effectively with team members and candidates
- Ability to understand and adapt to rapidly changing priorities and environments.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Integrity in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Intermediate in Microsoft Office or Google Application, Windows applications, internet, and email required. Experience with cloud-based software such as Apricot or Salesforce is helpful.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish/Other) is helpful but not require.
STRIVE considers applicants for all positions without regard to: race; color; religion; gender; national origin; age; sexual orientation; marital or veteran status; the presence of a medical condition, genetic information or handicap, unrelated to performing the tasks of the job; or any other legally protected status.