- Salary, exempt
- New hires are placed on our starting wage scale of $102,294 to $126,796 per year
- Based on performance, there is room to grow on our full wage scale of $102,294 to $151,403 per year
Who We Are
Unity Care NW is a private, non-profit, federally qualified health center (FQHC) that has been proudly and successfully serving the greater Whatcom County area since 1982. With clinics located in Bellingham & Ferndale, we offer comprehensive primary medical, behavioral health and dental care, as well as pharmacy services to a diverse and often underserved patient population of all ages. Employing almost 300 caring and compassionate employees, our mission is to increase the years of healthy life in the people & communities we serve.
What We Value
We have an inclusive culture and strive to demonstrate our Values in Action in all that we do. We value each individual on our team and aim to onboard a diverse workforce of the very best talent, whose ambitions and values align with ours.
As our Controller, you would be responsible for planning, directing and coordinating all operational accounting functions of the organization by performing the duties listed below:
Manages the finance staff:
- Determines the most effective method for assigning responsibilities and duties to department employees.
- Assigns duties and responsibilities, and ensures employees receive instruction/training needed to complete their job responsibilities.
- Reviews departmental work for thoroughness and accuracy; provides specific instructions to employees on completion of tasks/responsibilities.
- Ensures that employees are aware of and adhere to all company policies and procedures and conveys all senior management communications and directives.
- Makes recommendations for functional/departmental budget; maintains and monitors approved budgets.
- Maintains job descriptions, procedures and other documentation related to the organization of the department.
- Prepares and conducts performance appraisals for immediate staff, including establishment and implementation of developmental plans; reviews performance appraisals conducted by subordinate supervisors.
- Provides recommendations on hiring, corrective actions and terminations; executes coaching.
Reviews, approves, and analyzes the general accounting functions of UCNW:
- Manages the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day financial activities
- Develops, improves, and ensures timely, accurate, and complete preparation of all transactions
- Maintains the chart of accounts, the general ledger, and accounting system modules
- Reviews and approves monthly bank and balance sheet reconciliations
- Reviews and approves payable and cash receipt batches
- Works with pharmacy to ensure financial compliance with 340b program for both in-house pharmacy and contract pharmacy.
- Prepares monthly taxes for Sales and B&O (Business & Occupation) tax
Supports financial forecasting and budgeting:
- Analyzes patient revenue trends to ensure identification of potential problems
- Participates and supports the annual budget preparation, working with managers and supervisors to help enhance the precision of reported financial outcomes
Interfaces with external agencies and oversees audit functions:
- Engages with auditors to determine applicability of new accounting standards to the organization’s financial statements
- Manages external audits, ensures documentation for annual fiscal, 401K audit, and HRSA site visits is accurate, complete, and timely
Prepares periodic financial reports and statements:
- Prepares financial reporting including monthly income statement, balance sheet, statement of cashflows, departmental statement and dashboard for UCNW, NWHC and consolidated
- Stands in for the CFO at monthly Finance Committee meeting when the CFO is unavailable for the meeting
- Researches month variances in revenue and expenses to ensure all transactions are reported accurately
Ensures accounting department remains compliant:
- Develops and updates accounting policies, standards, procedures and workflows consistent with GAAP and Federal, State and local laws and regulations
- Functions as an administrator and maintains security for the Microix, Paylocity, and MIP systems
- Implements and monitors internal controls and risk mitigation in financial reporting
What We Offer
- A friendly & collaborative team environment
- Ongoing, in-house leadership training plus 1-on-1 management coaching with our Organizational Development Specialist
Generous Benefits including:
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match after 1 year of eligibility
- 6 paid holidays
- Generous paid time off with 160 hours accrued in first year (increasing thereafter)
- Other paid leaves for: Bereavement, Jury Duty, Bone Marrow/Organ Donation & Severe Weather Pay
- Life/AD&D insurance
- Variety of optional insurances including Supplementary Life/AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Critical Illness, Accident, and Travel as well as Identity Theft Protection
- Flexible Spending Account
- Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative transportation incentives
- Healthy Living reimbursement
- Unique programs including Medical Hardship Payroll Loans, Employee Referral Bonus, Will preparation services & a gym discount.
- Employment that counts towards eligibility for Public Service Loan Forgiveness – details can be viewed at Federal Student Aid.
- Possesses advanced general skills, including written and verbal communications skills, computational and computer skills, and mathematical knowledge at a level typically acquired through completion of a general bachelor’s degree program.
- Possesses the equivalent of extensive formal training in Finance or Accounting, including an understanding of the application of the theory and practices of the profession to the operations of the organization, usually in the form of a major as part of a master’s degree (or other applicable extended training program).
- Possesses a full understanding of the theory behind how procedures and practices in Finance and Accounting are developed, in order to effectively make significant contributions to policy and procedure development.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and auditing standards (GAAP).
- Understand Federal funding regulations and compliance.
- Understand payroll and labor laws.
- Uses MIP Accounting software proficiently.
- Uses Microix software proficiently.
- Keyboarding speed of 55 wpm and data entry skills; accuracy is essential.
- Uses advanced functions of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Ability to use payroll & Electronic Medical Record systems.
Candidates with applicable experience or similar qualifications are encouraged to apply!
Live in a community consistently rated as one of the most desirable in the USA! Nestled on Bellingham Bay at the foot of the Cascade Mountains just a short distance from Seattle, Vancouver, BC, and the San Juan Islands, Bellingham is home to over 91,000 people and surrounded by several charming small towns. Enjoy all the area has to offer:
- Recreational & Outdoor Activities (Hiking, Biking, Skiing, Snow Boarding, Fishing, Sailing, Kayaking, & Camping)
- Excellent Schools (University, Community College, Technical School, & Outstanding K-12 Educational System)
- Small Town or City Living (Unique Shops, Local Festivals, Farmers Markets, Berry Picking, & Community Events)
- Cultural Activities (Theater, Music, Independent Films, Museums, Art Studios, & Diverse Local Restaurants)
Qualified? We would love to hear from you! To apply, visit our Careers Page or call Vicki Curtis, Provider Recruiter, at 360-788-2661. For news on our organization & future job postings, please follow us on LinkedIn @UnityCareNW!
Unity Care NW has an Employee Health Program for the safety of our patients and staff. The program requires all employees to receive annual flu immunizations. UCNW also requires vaccination against COVID-19 as a vital public health measure that has truly been life-saving. We are proud of the leadership role we have played in protecting our community from this devastating virus. Following CDC and state guidelines, we have granted a very limited number of exemptions for employees who qualify.