Parent Institute for Quality Education is seeking an experienced, strategic, mission-driven applicant for the position of Policy Associate to assist Director of Policy in overseeing, managing and implementing all aspects of PIQE’s advocacy and policy initiatives. Associate will work directly with leadership, team staff and PIQE partners.
Working alongside the Director of Policy, the Policy Associate will engage in state legislative and executive branch advocacy as well as lobby before local government bodies and administrative agencies. The Policy Associate will collaborate with other staff, including regional offices, development and programs on integrated advocacy initiatives.
· Assist and support Director of Policy to identify and articulate strategic issue priorities and strive to keep policy work focused on those priorities.
· Work with school and community partners and civic leaders through a variety of activities to share and enhance family engagement initiatives.
· Monitor and analyze selected federal, state and local legislation and budgets to assess impact on families and communities
· Analyze legislation; maintain bill tracking database and legislative hearing schedule.
· Provide support for PIQE-led coalitions and working groups.
· Educate the public and policy makers on family engagement issues and priorities.
· Engage current and new partners including families, business and community leaders, partner organizations.
· Assist Director of Policy and Community Engagement Specialist in coordination and execution of communications strategy for advocacy efforts.
· Assist in drafting legislation and amendments, preparing and delivering written and oral testimony, and support partner organizations in development and delivery of testimony.
· Conduct issue-related research and analysis and draft supporting material including fact sheets, issue papers, talking points, reports, op-eds, and blogs.
· Coordinate with community engagement specialist and regional executive directors to engage grassroots activists in advocacy efforts.
· Represent the organization at coalition meetings, policy work groups, external events and conferences.
· Bachelor’s degree in Policy, International Studies, Communications or related field
· 3-5 years related professional work experience
· Excellent interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills, including online communications and social media.
· Working knowledge of legislative process and experience working with elected officials
· Ability to multitask and meet project deadlines
· Experience interacting effectively with donors and stakeholders.
· Proactive, participative work style.
· Experience working with social media platforms.
· Experience working in State education initiatives – (including California Department of Education, districts).
· Proficiency in Spanish.