The YWCA of the City of New York (YWCA NYC) is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. Established in 1858, the YWCA NYC is one of the nation’s oldest nonprofit organizations committed to the personal and social development of women, their families, and their communities. In honor of this history, and in service of our mission, the YWCA NYC currently provides leadership and advocacy training for young women through our Girls Initiatives program, and youth development through our Out-of-School Time (OST) program for elementary and middle school students in culturally diverse communities in Brooklyn and Manhattan.
The Senior Director of Development and Communications (SDDC) will be joining the organization at a pivotal time of growth. Reporting directly to the CEO, the SDDC is a key member of the YW-NYC leadership team and will work to bring a new level of creativity and innovation to the organization through fundraising and communications. In partnership with the CEO and Board Development Committee, the SDDC will lead private fundraising efforts for current and new initiatives and build upon the organization’s communication and outreach functions.
The SDDC will focus on securing increased revenue from individuals, corporate partnerships, foundations, government sources and major donors through cultivation efforts, partnership building and management, and event production. This role will ultimately work to advance the YW-NYC's mission, visibility and brand via fundraising, communications and public engagement strategies.
- Create annual development and communications strategy and action plan for the agency;
- In partnership with the leadership team, drive strategic initiatives and support the development of the YW-NYC’s long-term growth plans;
- Lead the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of new and existing corporate, government, and foundation partners;
- Develop revenue reports for the CEO and board of directors to track progress;
- Manage a team of associates and consultants, including a full-time Development and Communications Associate;
- Initiate new funding opportunities and make recommendations regarding emerging industry trends;
- Serve as the key point of contact for current and potential donors, including major donors, corporations, government, and foundations;
- Act as the liaison and strategic partner for the Board Development and Communications Committee;
- Oversee the annual Salute fundraiser and other donor cultivation events;
- Devise and manage the agency’s communication strategy, including brand management, web content, social media, newsletters, annual report, and presentations;
- Join the CEO as a public representative of the organization to foundations, corporations, major donors, and other strategic collaborations;
- Collaborate with senior program staff to develop funding for new initiatives and help articulate program value to external audiences;
- Represent the organization in the communities served by the YW-NYC;
- Work with the CEO and other senior leadership members to create and promote organizational strategy and goals.
Benefits we offer:
- Hybrid work schedule
- Generous paid time off
- Fun, committed and collaborative working environment
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- YWCA Retirement Plan
- 403(b) Plan
- UNUM Voluntary insurance (Additional Life, Life AD&D, Dep. Life)
- FSA and employer funded HRA dollars to spend towards out of pocket health costs
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master's degree or CFRE certification preferred
- 10+ years of experience as a development professional with significant communications experience
- Expert in major donor fundraising, grant writing, event planning, annual appeals and strategic communications
- Superb oral and written communication skills
- Excellent foundation research, grant writing, and editing skills
- Must be detail-oriented and strategic
- Knowledgeable of funders for youth development and education programs
- Well-versed in website development and various communication tools
- Proven successful experience in articulating the needs of the community and in relationship-building
- Must have an entrepreneurial mindset and able to work individually and as a collaborative team member
- Significant experience utilizing insights from data; proficient in fundraising database management
- Ability to manage multiple projects and assignments in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated commitment to the YW-NYC’s mission of eliminating racism and empowering women
To Apply: please submit a cover letter and resume that addresses your qualifications and ability to fulfill the responsibilities outlined above, as well as your salary requirements, to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org on the email thread.
The YWCA of the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer and contractor. We provide equal employment and contracting opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.