BlueWave has an immediate opening for an Assistant or Associate General Counsel who will be a key member of a growing legal team, reporting to the Chief Legal Officer, who is responsible for the direction and oversight of all legal affairs of the Company in support of BlueWave’s solar and storage development, asset ownership and operations activities. The successful candidate will work closely with various business groups, most notably Solar and Storage Development, Operations [construction and O&M] and Project Finance and will be directly involved in complex business transactions and in negotiating critical contracts. The Assistant/Associate GC role is a hands on, roll up your sleeves position within a legal department comprised of three attorneys (one Legal Fellow, three Assistant/Associate GCs and the CLO), and one paralegal. Note: This role may be at either the Assistant GC or Associate GC level depending on the experience and credentials of the successful candidate.
BlueWave's mission is to protect our planet by transforming access to renewable energy. As a pioneering renewable energy company that develops and owns solar and battery storage projects, BlueWave has a long track record of success and is developing several gigawatts of solar and battery storage projects throughout the United States to ensure our grid is reliable and efficient in a clean energy future. BlueWave is proud to be a certified B Corp, recognized by B Labs as "Best in the World" in Governance.
BlueWave provides employees with a robust benefits package, including unlimited paid time off, dedicated volunteer days, cell phone reimbursement, summer Fridays and 13 paid holidays. In addition, we offer a 401k and Roth 401K option with company match, subsidized health, dental and vision plans, as well as life insurance and long/short-term disability.
Inclusion at BlueWave:
As a mission-driven B Corp, as environmentalists, and as humans, we hold ourselves accountable to creating a workforce that celebrates diversity on our team and within our communities. Our inclusive culture and core values inspire us to develop more innovative, bolder solutions to support our customers and partners in the solar industry. When you join BlueWave, you join a collaborative team doing all that we can to be transparent, sustainable, and inclusive as we fight for our shared vision of protecting the planet.
Your key responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- While dealing with complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related areas, evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of decisions or course of action on the business.
- Draft, review, and negotiate commercial solar and storage contracts including leases, offtake agreements, payment in lieu of taxes agreements, equipment and materials supply agreements, warranty terms and conditions, non-disclosure agreements, and related documentation for corporate transactions, including acquisitions, JVs, debt and tax equity financings, and related term sheets and letters of intent, EPC agreements, subcontracts, and operations and maintenance (O&M) agreements.
- Assist with the design and implementation of key strategic initiatives and business changes by providing tactical regulatory/compliance advice on regulatory requirements.
- Provide practical, legal, and business advice to BlueWave personnel with respect to commercial transactions, regulatory matters, new business opportunities and compliance reporting.
- Establish, maintain, and leverage relationships with all business teams to direct activities that promote an effective and synchronized approach to risk management.
- Provide day-to-day advice to management and staff on a full spectrum of contractual and transactional matters relating to BlueWave’s business and related government/industrial & commercial contracting issues.
- Manage external attorneys involved in providing legal and regulatory advice with respect to policy interpretation, dispute resolutions, business transactions and compliance matters.
- Monitor and maintain current knowledge of industry trends in legal and compliance matters relating to the renewable energy industry and pursuing ongoing professional development to maintain current knowledge on best practices.
- Assist in the monitoring and interpreting legal developments, legislative changes, changes to the ITC, including interpretation of guidance, new laws, existing laws, and legal rights in the solar and battery energy storage, particularly in relation to the renewable energy incentive programs and tax equity finance.
- Assist with compliance and record keeping for legal entities, documents and proceedings.
- Provide support for regulatory filings
Required knowledge, skills, abilities and attitudes:
- Overall experience and broad legal knowledge in the field of solar and/or battery energy storage project development and finance, including: real estate law (ground leases, title, ALTA survey and permitting), EPC and O&M agreements, portfolio acquisitions and construction and tax equity financing transactions
- Demonstrated ability to provide business-oriented legal advice and recommendations
- Excellent business judgment and appropriate decision-making ability
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills combined with attention to detail and thoroughness
- Proven ability to “roll up” your sleeves and get involved at a detailed level
- Strong communication skills; ability to present clear and practical legal arguments
- Ability to influence others and to gain support for their ideas
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a capacity to build strong working relationships across the organization
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment and to adapt quickly to changing priorities
- A seasoned attorney with a minimum of ten (10) years of experience practicing law, a significant portion with a top-tier law firm and at least 5 years of in-house experience
- Substantial experience working on complex contracts, procurement and transactional issues related to the development, construction, financing and operation of renewable energy projects
- Solid grounding and experience drafting and negotiating solar leases and agricultural services agreements for agrivoltaics projects (i.e. dual use) would be an asset
- Possession of a Juris Doctorate issued by a top tier law school accredited by the American Bar Association and a member in good standing of a state bar
BlueWave is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and will do so by actively seeking to hire and promote diverse individuals throughout the company.
Providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment is critical to our identity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, handicap (disability), sexual orientation, gender identity/ or expression, genetics, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, military status or obligation or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.