· New hires are placed on our starting wage scale of $72,700 - $88,300 per year
· Based on performance, there is room to grow on our full wage scale of $72,700 - $104,000 per year
· Full-time Monday-Friday
· Option to work 12 months per year or work 9 months per year when schools are in session & have summers off
Who We Are
Unity Care NW is a private, non-profit, federally qualified health center (FQHC) that has been proudly and successfully serving the greater Whatcom County area since 1982. With clinics located in Bellingham & Ferndale, we offer comprehensive primary medical, behavioral health and dental care, as well as pharmacy services to a diverse and often underserved patient population of all ages. Employing almost 300 caring and compassionate employees, our mission is to increase the years of healthy life in the people & communities we serve.
What We Value
We have an inclusive culture and strive to demonstrate our Values in Action in all that we do. We value each individual on our team and aim to onboard a diverse workforce of the very best talent, whose ambitions and values align with ours.
We believe mental & emotional health is an important part of overall health and wellness. Our behavioral health providers work closely with patients and their Primary Care Providers to help them meet their health care goals. As a Child & Family Counselor, you would provide comprehensive outpatient Behavioral Health assessment and counseling services to children and families. This would include the following:
1. Diagnosing patients:
a. Assesses patients referred to the Child and Family program to determine the patient’s mental health diagnosis, utilizing Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) diagnostic criteria.
2. Treating patients:
a. Assesses patients for disorders found within the DSM-5 as referred by the Primary Care Providers, Primary Care BH/Specialty BH therapists, Psychiatric team, Case Managers, and by schools & school personnel.
b. Coordinates treatment plans related to management of behavioral health disorders with other treatment providers.
c. Directs patients to appropriate additional services, including psychiatry and case management.
d. Communicates and coordinates the transfer or cessation of care with other internal stakeholders.
e. Works within the clinic and in-designated school environments (if applicable).
3. Providing consultation and education to patients and necessary stakeholders:
a. Provides consultation and input related to the ongoing care to other internal providers, external providers, parents and caregivers, teachers & other necessary stakeholders.
4. Maintaining a caseload of patients:
a. Collaborates around and completes appropriate scheduling, session length, and session frequency for a full caseload of patients based on clinical assessment and need.
b. Utilizes treatment goals and timely discharges to manage cases and maintains flow of referrals to serve the needs of the primary care patient population at UCNW.
c. Maintains awareness and tracks patient engagement, providing appropriate outreach and encouraging full participation in clinical treatment.
d. Meets productivity requirement.
What We Offer
- A friendly and collaborative team
- A competitive compensation package
- A salaried position in a collegial work environment without the overhead and cost of running your own private practice
- Outpatient only with no call
- In-house case management
- Malpractice insurance with tail coverage through the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA)
Generous benefits including:
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match after 1 year of eligibility
- 6 paid holidays
- Generous paid time off of 160 hours accrued in Year 1, 208 hours accrued starting Year 2 & gradually increasing to 248 hours accrued per year at 10 years
- Other paid leaves for Bereavement, Jury Duty, Bone Marrow/Organ Donation & Severe Weather Pay
- Life/AD&D insurance
- Variety of optional insurances including Supplementary Life/AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Critical Illness, Accident, and Travel as well as Identity Theft Protection
- Flexible Spending Account
- Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative transportation incentives
- Healthy Living reimbursement
- Unique programs including Medical Hardship Payroll Loans, Employee Referral Bonus, Will preparation services & a gym discount
- Employment that counts towards eligibility for Public Service Loan Forgiveness – details can be viewed at Federal Student Aid.
- Eligible providers may apply for loan repayment through the National Health Service Corps (NHSC Loan Repayment Program | NHSC (hrsa.gov)) &/or Washington Student Achievement Council (Washington Health Corps | WSAC)
- Continuing Education & reimbursement of renewal fees for roles with a WA State license
- Washington State Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW), Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT) or Licensed Psychologist or one of the above licenses at Associate-level or Psychologist Resident.
- Mental Health Professional (MHP) and Child Mental Health Specialist (CMHS) acknowledgment or qualifications to be acknowledged as an MHP and CMHS from the Department of Behavioral Health and Recovery (DBHR).
- Possesses the equivalent of extensive formal training in Clinical Social Work, Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy or Psychology including an understanding of the application of the theory and practices of the profession to the operations of the organization, usually in the form of a master’s degree (or other applicable extended training program).
- Minimum of two years direct clinical experience working with children and families.
- Ability to be fingerprinted and pass an FBI background check as required by Washington State Law (RCW 28A.400.303) prior to unsupervised work with children in Bellingham schools.
- Ability to travel between schools within the service area and UCNW facilities.
- Valid, unrestricted Washington State Driver’s License.
- A full understanding of all aspects of the profession or trade used within UCNW.
- Ability to communicate bilingually in Spanish or Russian.
- Experience with & knowledge of Medicaid insurance plans.
- Demonstrated success in working with and relating to individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds & socio-economic levels, treating them with sensitivity & respect.
- Experience working in schools where building relationships & care coordination is essential with students, their families, teachers, school counselors, the school psychologist and the principal.
- Ability to be flexible & accommodative when working at different locations & with various stakeholders, such as scheduling meetings before or after school for parents who work or after school when teachers are available.
- Skills in support group organization & facilitation.
- Skills in communication, self-direction, problem-solving & analysis.
Candidates who meet the requirements who have applicable experience or similar qualifications are encouraged to apply!
Live in a community consistently rated as one of the most desirable in the USA! Nestled on Bellingham Bay at the foot of the Cascade Mountains just a short distance from Seattle, Vancouver BC, and the San Juan Islands, Bellingham is home to over 90,000 people and surrounded by several charming small towns. Enjoy all the area has to offer:
· Recreational & Outdoor Activities (Hiking, Biking, Skiing, Snow Boarding, Fishing, Sailing, Kayaking, & Camping)
· Excellent Schools (University, Community College, Technical School, & Outstanding K-12 Educational System)
· Small Town or City Living (Unique Shops, Local Festivals, Farmers Markets, Berry Picking, & Community Events)
· Cultural Activities (Theater, Music, Independent Films, Museums, Art Studios, & Diverse Local Restaurants)
If you’re passionate about everyone having the opportunity to live their healthiest life, please visit our Careers Page to apply at www.unitycarenw.org or contact Vicki Curtis, Provider Recruiter, at email@example.com or 360-788-2661. For news on our organization & future job postings, please follow us on LinkedIn at https://bit.ly/363mfhv!
Unity Care NW has an Employee Health Program for the safety of our patients and staff. The program requires that all employees receive annual flu vaccines. UCNW also requires vaccination against COVID-19 as a vital public health measure that has truly been life-saving. We are proud of the leadership role we’ve played in protecting our community from this devastating virus. Following CDC and state guidelines, we have granted a very limited number of exemptions for employees who qualify.