The primary responsibility will include:
· Assist and support Director of Policy to identify and articulate strategic issue priorities and strive to keep policy work focused on those priorities.
· Build strong partnerships with Central Valley institutions of higher education.
· Work with school and community partners and civic leaders through a variety of activities to share and enhance family engagement initiatives.
· Provide support for PIQE-led coalitions and working groups.
· Educate the public and policy makers on family engagement issues and priorities.
· Engage current and new partners including families, business and community leaders, partner organizations.
· Assist Director of Policy and Engagement and Strategic Initiative Associate in coordination and execution of communications strategy for advocacy efforts.
· Assist in preparing and delivering written and oral testimony, and support partner organizations in development and delivery of testimony to uplift family perspectives and needs.
· Conduct issue-related research and analysis and draft supporting material including fact sheets, issue papers, talking points, reports, op-eds, and blogs.
· Coordinate with the Engagement and Strategic Initiative Associate and Regional Executive Directors to engage grassroots activists in advocacy efforts.
· Represent the organization at coalition meetings, policy work groups, external events and conferences.
· Support public speaking and community presentations both by coordinating efforts and presenting as needed.
· Bachelor’s degree in Policy, Political Science, International Studies, Communications, or related field.
· 2-4 years related professional work experience.
· Experience working in or engaged with the higher education system.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills, including online communications and social media.
· Working knowledge of local and state legislative processes and experience working with elected officials and community leaders.
· Ability to multitask and meet project deadlines.
· Experience interacting effectively with donors and stakeholders.
· Proactive, participative work style.
· Ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of departments within the organization.
· Suitable internet access speed to perform job duties.
· Experience working in local and State education initiatives – (including California Department of Education, districts).
· Proficiency in Spanish: oral and written.
· Experience in leadership or civic engagement development as participant or trainer.
· Valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance