The Survey Technician assists the Survey Party Chief in the documentation, surveying and measuring of points, elevations, lines, areas, and contours for construction, mapmaking, land division, and titles. This person is responsible for operating and maintaining field equipment including electronic total stations, auto levels, and data collectors.
We are looking for Survey Technician's to join our team in our Cary, NC office.
WHY WR? WithersRavenel is looking for people who are passionate about collaboration, community, and client success. Your reward for sharing your talent with us? OWNERSHIP. As a 100% employee-owned company, every employee is an owner—which adds a powerful and unique dimension to our vibrant company culture and purposeful work. Our employee owners say they love a lot of things about WithersRavenel, but the things most often cited are our amazing people and team-first atmosphere, our focus on their professional development and growth, and our commitment to the communities in which we work and live.
Bring your talent and collaborative spirit and join our team of employee owners at WithersRavenel!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as instrument operator for a field survey crew engaged in making plane and/or geodetic surveys for construction, topographic, right-of-way, and control survey projects.
- Gather field survey data through use of conventional and Global Positioning System (GPS) methods.
- Set up, adjust, and operate surveying equipment, including electronic total station, data collector, and GPS equipment, in order to measure distances, elevations, and angles.
- Prepare field notes and drawings.
- Perform field surveying for lots, roadway, bridges, and flood control projects, including installing surveying construction stakes, tying out existing intersection ties, and locating or establishing vertical and horizontal control, right of way, monuments, corners, boundaries, and property lines.
- Assist the Survey Party Chief with survey notations for surveyed field work.
- Ensure that the batteries for all field equipment are recharged each day and that the geomatics vehicle to which the crew is assigned is adequately supplied and cleaned each day.
- Follow company safety practices to ensure a safe work environment for self and field crew.
- 0 - 2 years of experience with land surveying (radial staking, uses and capabilities of survey instruments, including electronic total station, data collector, theodolites, and leveling instrument/procedures)
- General understanding of principles and practices of land surveying (radial staking, uses and capabilities of survey instruments, including electronic total station, data collector, theodolites, and leveling instrument/procedures)
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Reliable, self-motivated, engaged, and team-oriented
- Strong problem-solving and technical skills
- Valid Driver's License
- Successful completion of a MVR driving records check
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans, collect data, operate and maintain complex precision surveying instruments, and engineering calculators.
The work is performed outdoors in such areas as landfills, construction sites, in swamps, residential neighborhoods, roadway work zones and wooded areas.
To perform the essential functions of the job, incumbents may be required to perform moderately strenuous tasks, such as including lifting and carrying instruments weighing up to 50 pounds over rough terrain. Incumbents may also be required to clear vegetation, dig holes, and drive stakes with hand tools.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the position. All employees may have other duties assigned at any time.
WithersRavenel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, military service, or other non-merit factors protected by federal, state, or local laws. At WithersRavenel, we strive to build and nurture a culture where diversity, inclusivity, and belonging are a normal part of doing business, not an initiative. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. By hiring highly talented people who align with our Core Values, we continue to enrich and broaden our ownership community, as well as the employee and client experience. This purposeful approach to diversity and inclusion leads to greater commitment, collaboration, and effectiveness in our culture, work, and lives.