***Candidate Must Reside in the State of California to be Considered***
The Director of Communications is an experienced, mission-driven individual with a passion to achieve economic and social equity for all through education. Reporting to the VP of External Relations, the Communications Manager will be an action-oriented, hands-on communicator, with experience leading and collaborating with teams. Strong candidates are expected to have the ability to elevate key messaging, initiatives, and to engage and connect with diverse groups.
The position is an integral part of the organizations overall strategic endeavors and will work with the VP of External Relations to enhance and expand PIQE’s mission.
Communications Strategy and Leadership
· Transform the visions and ideas of PIQE leadership into actionable plans that are delegated appropriately.
· Help craft organizational voice and messaging that is in alignment with PIQE's mission, vision, and values through consultation with PIQE staff, board, partners, and community
· Coordinate with PIQE leadership on media strategy and communications response
· Ensure communications are always advancing the goals outlined in PIQE’s Strategic Plan
· Develop and hold team accountable to shared communications protocols (systems, policies, and tools) for all staff including the updating of a style and narrative guide for internal communications
· Lead on the creation and maintenance of an org-wide calendar and system for rollouts, creating consistency of staff experience and information sharing
· Ensure strong partnership and collaboration with other programs and teams to support their goals and initiatives including coalitions PIQE is involved in
· Support the development of an earned media strategy including how to cultivate relationships with key reporters on education equity
· Support annual budgeting process and manage implementation and tracking of the Communications budget, in partnership with PIQE leadership
· Plan the rollout of print and digital communications campaigns, events, and documents, and manage the evaluation and report out of those efforts.
· Maintain a long-term internal communications framework and calendar with key internal stakeholders that will allow the Communications Department to increase impact, streamline staff experience, and bolster efficiency. The Director would hold the strategy behind the communications cadence and would work daily to maintain a proper stream of communication across PIQE
· Manage contractors for special projects, including graphic design, website development, printing and mailing, and other contractors
· Support content development for digital and print communications, particularly for organization-wide updates, including mailers, e-newsletters, PIQE's website, annual report, and social media channels
· Track and report on effectiveness of communications platforms and campaigns to continually improve communications strategies
· Develop or innovate internal and external communications
· Manage PIQE media presence, ensuring written and visual content work together to inspire our external community and authentically represent the communities we serve
· Work in collaboration with coalition partners and other organizational partners to uplift community stories in an empowering and intentional way
· The position will manage and supervise the communication team, and support the professional development and learning goals to grow in their roles.
· Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college/university in Finance, Policy, Communications, or similar field; or equivalent combination of education and minimum 5 years’ experience.
· Passion for impactful storytelling that respects the diversity of our communities, with particular attention to the nuances of representation along spectrums of identity
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Familiarity with content management AND project management systems
· Strong written and oral communication skills demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
· Ability to translate big-picture thinking into written plans and presentations and confidence in presenting and advocating those plans both internally and externally
· Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office to create reports which reflects data from the statewide offices.
· Ability to prioritize workload, meet deadlines, and work in a fast-paced operation while always exhibiting extreme attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
· Excellent time management skills and a goal-oriented personality.
· Interact with courtesy and professionalism with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds.
· Suitable internet speed will be required to perform job duties.