This position represents a high skill level and knowledge for the performance of repairing, modifying, installing and preventative maintenance primarily for the following trades: Carpentry, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Water Quality, HVAC, and Electronics. Must have the ability to organize and prioritize work, a strong work ethic, good communication skills, and the ability to work independently and with minimal or no supervision. The position may also work closely with contractors on projects, including installation of equipment or repairs to equipment and facilities.
Essential job functions:
- Performance Responsibilities: Perform skilled carpentry repair, maintenance, modifying and installation work for our facilities structural systems. This includes troubleshooting problems and executing required repairs. Must possess a working knowledge of trimming/rough framing, fences, roofs, doors, windows, metal work, concrete, painting, animal containment, finishes and cabinetry. Must have a detailed functional knowledge of a wide variety of materials and where they should appropriately be installed. Must be well versed in building codes and work performed must meet building and or other agencies requirements.
- Must have a general comfort level and knowledge of computers and computer software systems. Prior experience with Building Automation Systems and/or work order systems is highly desired.
- Must be able to work with and/or operate a variety of tools and equipment in a safe and efficient manner. This includes but is not limited to the following examples: wood working shop equipment, hand tools, portable power tools, plumbing tools, electronic testing devices, ladders, lifts, light to medium heavy equipment, forklifts, bobcats, etc. Position must have completed F&G department safety program.
- Proficiency in at least two of the following:
- Perform skilled repair, maintenance, modification and installation of our parks electrical distribution systems. This includes troubleshooting problems and executing required repairs. All work performed must meet NEC requirements. Must be able to perform electrical device installations and repairs that includes but is not limited to outlets, switches, conduit/wiring, motors, lighting, breaker and electrical panels.
- Perform skilled repair, maintenance, modifying and installation work for our plumbing systems. This includes troubleshooting problems and executing required repairs. Must possess a detailed functional knowledge of water, sanitary, pumps, valves and waste internal/external distribution systems. Must be proficient in plumbing codes.
- Perform skilled repair, maintenance, modifying and installation work for our electronics systems. This includes troubleshooting problems and executing required repairs. Must possess a detailed functional knowledge of fire alarms, security equipment, PA, and audio/visual equipment.
- Perform skilled repair, maintenance, modification and installation work for our HVAC systems. This includes troubleshooting, problem solving, and executing required repairs. Must have ability to work within a formal preventative maintenance program. Must have a detailed functional knowledge of EPA and other agency requirements for HVAC equipment.
- Performs skilled repair, maintenance, modifying and installation work for our Life Support Water Quality systems. This includes troubleshooting problems and executing required repairs. Must possess a detailed functional knowledge of all water purification equipment. Must be able to adjust as needed equipment/chemicals to ensure water quality is maintained with the Zoo’s established ranges.
- High school diploma or GED equivalency
- Valid Ohio driver’s license required
- 5 years of facilities maintenance experience in mechanical repairs, trouble shooting, repair and preventative maintenance in the trades. Experience or training in painting, plastering, metal working, concrete work, or other applicable trade work is valued.
- Must have ability to operate company vehicles, two-way radios, and various types of power equipment. Apply technical knowledge and training to solve complex problems. May work alone or with other team members in a professional manner. Work on ladders and high lifts in ditches and excavations, on rooftops, or beneath multi-story buildings. Must possess and demonstrate good verbal communication skills within all levels of the organization, vendors, and the public.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, this employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by his/her immediate supervisor. The Akron Zoo reserves the right to revise and change job duties as business requirements dictate.
This is a Full-time, Non-Exempt, Collective Bargaining position with benefits. Hourly pay for this position ranges from $19.15 - $21.65. This position includes working some weekends, holidays and evenings. Open until filled.
The Akron Zoo is a Drug-Free Workplace and an EOE.