The South Bay Workforce Investment Board, Inc. (SBWIB, Inc.) is seeking a highly motivated individual to function as a Program District Assistant-Job Developer for the Transitional Subsidized Employment (TSE) Program. Program District Assistants-Job Developers are usually co-located at one of the 28 America Job Centers of California (AJCC) subcontracted with the SBWIB, Inc., to implement the program, and will be required to assist with placements into unsubsidized employment for all Centers within a specific Region. This position will be assigned to primarily serve the South East Los Angeles Area. The Program District Assistant (PDA) - Job Developer must work closely with various AJCCs, to find jobs for CalWORKS participants completing their Paid Work Experience/On-The-Job training assignments under the TSE Program. The PDA-Job Developer must understand the function and goal of the TSE program. Ideal candidate should be able to motivate TSE program participants to achieve their professional goals through employment, as well as market the program to employers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the GAIN Unit Manager (or designee), the Program District Assistant – Job Developer’s duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Build and maintain relationships with employers, including developing and maintaining a portfolio of employers for unsubsidized placements (upon completion of the TSE participants' assignments);
- Initiate and maintain ongoing personal contacts with a variety of business and industry representatives and job placement/training agencies to promote program for participant placement;
- Make cold calls to potential employers and collaborate with AJCC's on recruitments and conduct job readiness workshops as needed;
- Interview participants to assess interest/qualifications for unsubsidized placement and successfully match job skills with applicant qualifications;
- Instructs participants in job seeking, application procedures, resume writing, interview preparation and job retention skills and attitudes;
- Work closely with AJCCs to ensure participants who are in the last 3 months of their assignment, and/or who have completed their assignment, are targeted for job development;
- Arrange interviews for participants who have successfully completed the program and place participants into unsubsidized jobs and meet placement goals within timeframe provided;
- Tracks participant activity and progress data;
- Communicate the benefits and employment support services provided by the program to employers, including addressing employer's special needs;
- Collect data from employers related to job orders, including job requirements and skills;
- Stay informed on how/where to search for job leads; keep current with trends and maintain updated labor market information obtained through research;
- Keep updated regarding job fairs and internet resources and participate in outreach and recruitment activities by attending job fairs;
- Participate in routine AJCC meetings, LA County GAIN Region Staff meetings, LA County GAIN Program Division TSE meetings and SBWIB, Inc. GAIN Unit meetings as directed;
- Prepare and submit reports as directed by Manager;
- Other duties as assigned. Other related duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in Business, Public Administration, Social Science, Communications, or a related field;
- at least two (2) years ** of experience in the delivery of social service programs, job training and development, leadership and/or marketing
- Must be enthusiastic, creative, and capable of effectively functioning in a professional work setting with various levels of staff, Boards or Partners, in group settings, and independently with little to no supervision.
- Must possess the ability to think quickly, strategically and execute new ideas in fast-paced environment;
- Must possess the ability to excel at details, work well under pressure and have great problem solving skills;
- Must have great organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects in an efficient and timely manner and be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
- Must have great verbal and written-communication skills;
- Must have outstanding people skills and be able to work collaboratively and positively with others of diverse backgrounds, opinions and needs;
- Must have experience working with or the ability to learn Microsoft Office software, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel and virtual meeting platforms such as ZOOM, Teams, etc.
- Reliable transportation with valid California Driver’s License and insurance are required.
- Must be able to successfully pass background and reference clearances
- Must be able to follow all safety protocols enforced by the Company and as listed under the below working conditions
** or any satisfactory combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the below duties (education may be substituted by experience on a year-for-year basis). **
Employee may be required to spend the majority of the day walking, standing, sitting at a desk, with some lifting and bending. Must also be able to travel to other locations for trainings, conferences and/or meetings within or outside our local area and occasionally statewide in which such travel may last one (1) or more days - if/as necessary.
Applying for this position connotes an understanding and acceptance of duty in light of potential exposure relating to COVID-19 as you will be required to interface with multiple team members. Performing duties of this position will require wearing protective equipment (e.g. mask, gloves, etc.,), and following protective measures enforced by the Company, City, County, State and/or Federal Authorities as it relates to current states of emergencies (e.g., pandemics) or the functions of this position.
**Note: Measures may change based on level of safety concerns.**
This is a full-time, nonexempt position (40 hours/week), generally with a starting hourly wage commensurate with experience. Our Company offers a comprehensive employee benefits package, which includes 75% health cost reimbursement (for employee only), sick and vacation time, holidays and a competitive 401k plan. Employer is eligible for student loan forgiveness (PSLF). All full-time employees are invited to participate in the company’s health benefits package after completing the 60-90-day employment introductory period.