TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that mobilizes individuals, families, communities, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by providing education on the benefits of planting trees, capturing rainwater, greening schools, and providing fun environmental educational activities. TreePeople unites with communities to grow a greener, shadier and more water-secure region at homes, neighborhoods, schools and local mountains.
TreePeople is seeking individuals interested in the Community Forestry Apprentice position. The Community Forestry Apprentice will be a part of a workforce development team to primarily plant and care for 4,000 trees in South Los Angeles. This position will conduct various aspects of the project such as tree planting, tree care, volunteer coordination, community engagement, and data collection. Community Forestry Apprentice will be provided with robust training and educational activities to obtain relevant certifications that support the advancement of careers in environmental sectors. Training will include professional development in arboriculture, landscaping, natural resource management, and related fields. The position will be a minimum term of two years to support the completion of the South Los Angeles tree planting project and other related projects in the community.
- Support the organization of community tree planting and tree care events with local volunteers.
- Plant and care for 15-gallon street trees.
- Drive a truck to transport trees and water trees on a regular basis.
- Support the participation of volunteers in urban tree planting and care events.
- Utilize and maintain tree data through TreePeople’s web-based inventory.
- Gather, monitor and track data of tree plantings through GPS and site maps to comply with funding reporting and to ensure successful implementation of tree maintenance plans.
- Participate and represent TreePeople at meetings and community events as needed.
- Participate in formal and informal training.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong team-building and problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized, strong work ethic, friendly, smart, proactive and a quick learner.
- Interested in local climate resilience and environmental issues impacting communities throughout Southern California.
- Spanish fluency is preferred.
- Valid CA Driver’s license and clean driving record desired to perform job-related essential functions.
- Available to work a flexible schedule that will include weekends.
- Current residency in South Los Angeles preferred.
- Work demands physical energy, twisting, safe heavy lifting ability, and hand-to-eye coordination.
- Uses machines, equipment, and work tools including but not limited to shovels, breaker bars, rakes, brooms, general hand tools, lift gates, water tanks, blowers, augers.
- Must be able to carry and walk with 50 pounds for at least 50 feet.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds overhead.
- Must be able to load and unload 15-gallon trees from a stakebed truck.
- Must be able to enter and exit a vehicle numerous times a day.
- Must be able to withstand exposure to all kinds of weather while completing work assignments, i.e., rain, heat, sun, cold.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.