Position Summary: In partnership with adults with intellectual and other developmental disabilities, provide support and advocacy to plan, arrange, and attend healthcare appointments. Assist individuals to communicate health status to the support team. Serve as a personal advocate related to healthcare.
- Liaison for healthcare services to individuals.
- Support individuals to coordinate healthcare services to ensure routine and follow up appointments are completed according their healthcare preferences and provider advice, and in alignment with IL DHS requirements and best practice clinical standards
- Assist individuals with scheduling healthcare appointments
- Provide and or assist with transportation to healthcare appointments
- Act as healthcare advocate during medical appointments
- Complete healthcare appointment documentation within one business day
- Complete assigned quality reviews of residential medication storage, Medication Administration Records (MARs), and assess medication re-order needs
- Communicates quality review and medication re-order needs status to the RN Trainer, Life Consultant.
- Assist with the pick-up / drop-off of prescriptions from the pharmacy and the delivery of medication to residential sites as required
- Assists in the pick-up of medical supplies from distributors and delivery of medical supplies to residential sites as required.
- Maintain monthly calendar for all medical appointments
- Educate, promote and provide support to individuals in making healthy lifestyle choices, as referenced in the DSP health and safety and health and nutrition training curriculums and/or service plans.
- Identify and utilize effective advocacy strategies to overcome the diverse challenges facing individuals, i.e., human rights, legal, administrative and financial.
- Maintain the Health Record for all persons who use residential services
- Attend department meetings.
- Work with Individual’s Community Support Team, including Life Consultants, Clinical Team, Team Leaders and Facilitators to learn and implement each individual’s PCP, Clinical Plan and Health/Wellness Plan
- Cooperation with Compliance and Quality Improvement initiatives and protocols
- Complete all required trainings including but not limited to AMTS/MANDT, CPR/FA, Clinical Trainings, Rule 50 Abuse Neglect
- Maintain Medication Administration status for residential individuals
- The employee may be asked to perform other duties as required by the employer’s business needs
Reports to: Life Consultant
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- At least 1 year of experience as an IL DHS Direct Support Person, OR 1 year of experience directly with adults with intellectual and other developmental disabilities
- Certified Nursing Assistant preferred
- Valid driver’s license, with acceptable driving record for the past 3 years
- Ability to obtain and maintain PACE certification
- Minimum 23 years of age
- Attention to detail, effective oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and mentoring skills
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to deal tactfully, engaging, and courteously with participants, employees at all levels, families, and the general public.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; bend or stoop; walk and climb stairs; reach with hands and arms, push, pull; talk, hear, and observe.
- Work requires heavy physical exertion and may include lifting up to 75 pounds.
- Duties are performed primarily in the Career Center and agency office. Work areas are restricted to non-smoking.
The psychological demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to maintain pleasant working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Ability to interact positively with individuals who are verbally/physically aggressive.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize work.