JOB TITLE: LGBTQ+ Mental Health Front Desk Specialist
DEPARTMENT: San Mateo County Pride Center
REPORTS TO: Center Manager
SALARY: $23 – 26 per hour DOE
POSITION STATUS: Non-Exempt, Full-time, 40 hours per week + Benefits Package
CONSIDERATIONS: Onsite (occasional remote may be needed work for any center closures)
HOURS OF OPERATION: Mondays – Fridays, 11 am – 7 pm
The San Mateo County Pride Center is the first of its kind in San Mateo County and provides comprehensive support services to individuals and families in the LGBTQ+ community. The Pride Center is a partnership between StarVista, Outlet of Adolescent Counseling Services, and Peninsula Family Service, in collaboration with San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services. The Pride Center provides a broad range of services with three main components: 1) Clinical -individual, group, couples and family counseling, case management; 2) Social/Community -event and gathering space, education, trainings; peer groups, and 3) Resource center -library, referrals, web-based media center. More information about the Pride Center can be found at www.sanmateopride.org.
POSITION PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
As an LGBTQ+ Community Center that supports the overall mental health and substance use needs of our community, the LGBTQ+ Peer Mental Health Administrative Specialist plays an essential role by supporting the administrative needs of the center as well as staffing the front desk to welcome visitors into our space in a supportive and welcoming way. This position requires both administration skills and a foundational understanding of mental health either through education or lived experience. The LGBTQ+ Mental Health Peer Administrative Specialist helps funnel inquiries (whether in person, via phone, or email) and connects clients, community members, and organizations to the appropriate team members and programs within the Pride Center. Working with the Center Manager, they help manage the needs of the physical center such as assisting with onsite scheduling, ordering supplies, and tracking daily visitor demographics. When needed, the LGBTQ+ Peer Mental Health Administrative Specialist provides additional administrative support to the team leads such as the Center Director, Center Manager, and the two LGBTQ+ Clinical Coordinators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Staffs the front desk to welcome visitors with a welcoming, non-judgmental approach.
- Connect clients and community members with appropriate and culturally relevant health, wellness, advocacy, education, economic resources/services, and community events known or refer to appropriate team member for additional support.
- Provide essential administrative and operational support to Pride Center staff such as coordinating onsite scheduling needs, answering general phone lines and email inbox, and ordering office supplies, equipment or resource material.Assist with the on-boarding of new San Mateo County Pride Center staff and trainees in conjunction with the Center Director and the LGBTQ+ Clinical Supervision Coordinator and Mental Health Clinician.
- Working in conjunction with the Community Engagement Specialist, provide tours of the San Mateo County Pride Center for visitors which includes the history of our creation and an overview of our programs and services as needed.
- Maintain high quality documentation and tracking for daily visitors to the Pride Center and for onsite programming as relevant.
- Maintain San Mateo County Pride Center Library Check-Out/In Form, external requests for using the Pride Center space, and support with community group and committee’s access needs to the center.
- Maintain a professional relationship with other StarVista team members including the Operations Manager, Facilities Operations Coordinator, Accounts Receivable Associate, and Database and Analytics Manager.
- Cultivate and maintain a structured and independent work schedule, as this position involves a high degree of autonomy.
- Take a non-judgmental, strength-based, and social justice-centered approach to support.
- Communicate professionally and respectfully to all program participants, community members, and partners.
- Function as a core member of the San Mateo County Pride Center team involved in creative visioning and development of this center to most effectively meet the needs of the LGBTQ+ community
- Participate in staff meetings, development trainings, community meetings and events, as well as organizational retreats and gatherings.
- Represent the mission of values of the Pride Center and StarVista.
- Perform other duties as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Understanding of issues impacting the LGBTQ+ community including the high rate of suicide, stigma, mental health issues, and substance use.
- Basic skills in addressing the needs of those with mental health issues is required.
- De-escalation skills are highly desired.
- Familiarity with San Mateo County and Bay Area community LGBTQ+ health and wellness resources.
- Understanding of anti-oppression, anti-racism, intersectionality, social justice, and cultural humility.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, Tagalog, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese), and/or Tongan highly preferred.
- Lived experience in the LGBTQ+ community highly desired.
- Strong personal organization and communication skills.
- Experience working with historically marginalized populations including clients and communities who are Transgender, Non-Binary, and gender diverse, low-income, BIPOC, youth, older adults, dis/abled, and immigrants as well as people who have a history of trauma, are dually diagnosed, living with HIV, system-engaged, and/or experiencing homelessness and housing insecurity.
- 2+ years previous experience as an Administrative Coordinator or similar role highly desired.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, SharePoint, Outlook, etc.) and virtual meeting platforms like Zoom/Microsoft Teams.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary, multiracial, multicultural, multi-gendered, and intergenerational environment.
- Strong commitment to social, racial, and economic justice.
- Willingness to travel throughout San Mateo County as needed (mileage reimbursement is provided).
- Valid CA Driver's license, proof of auto insurance and ability to pass fingerprint and TB clearance is required.
- Basic Life & AD&D
- Flexible Spending Account / Dependent Care Spending Account
- Employee Assistance Program
- Retirement Plan (non-matching)
- Sick Time
- Vacation Time
- Personal Time
- Holiday Pay
- Birthday Floating Holiday
We encourage you to apply if you think you would be a great fit but do not meet the preferred education/experience level. We welcome folks from all backgrounds and lived experiences and would love to learn more about how you may be a great fit for this role.