About Philadelphia Works, Inc.
Philadelphia Works (PhilaWorks) is a 501c3 non-profit organization that invests in solutions and services to grow Philadelphia’s economy by connecting employers to workforce talent and career seekers to jobs. We influence the public policies that support economic growth and optimize funding and resources to invest in regional solutions to build a skilled and thriving workforce.
Philadelphia Works has a hybrid schedule; staff work 2 – 3 days in the office
This position performs a variety of general accounting functions within the Accounting Department. Primary responsibilities are cash receipts, processing month-end accounting transactions to ensure the timely accurate processing of monthly journal entries to the general ledger and monitoring expenditures.
1. Maintain operating effectiveness over cash management internal controls.
2. Perform monthly bank reconciliations for all cash accounts. Submit to manager for review.
3. Record monthly accounts receivable entries from funding agencies and post cash receipts, submit to manager for review.
4. Prepare invoices for miscellaneous contracts requiring monthly billings. Record associated receivable in the general ledger, submit to manager for review.
5. Prepare monthly journal entries related to work performed. Submit journal entries to manager for review. Post journal entries upon receipt of approval from manager.
6. Perform a monthly analysis of statement of activities. Review for coding and other errors, resolve and correct errors identified.
7. Manage, organize and compile all Resource Sharing Agreement (RSA) information for the CareerLink system.
8. Review and analyze all monthly RSA operating activity for accuracy and proper accounting. Adjust as necessary.
9. Compile the monthly Grant Summary Report. Review for accuracy and submit to manager for review.
10. Prepare PWI Operating expenditures for monthly reporting to the Commonwealth.
11. Compile the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) invoice from the general ledger, submit to manager for review.
12. Prepare PWI Operating expenditures workpapers for monthly draw process.
13. Analyze all balance sheet accounts, resolve any discrepancies, submit to manager for review. Perform a monthly analysis of statement of activities. Review for coding and other errors, resolve and correct errors identified.
14. Compile monthly organization Financial Statements, review statements and correct any errors. Submit to manager for review.
15. Compile and analyze monthly Departmental Monthly Reports. Resolve any errors and submit to manager for review.
16. Manage Philadelphia Works administrative contracts. Responsibilities include ensuring contracts are properly executed, processed, recorded and filed correctly. Process invoices for payment.
17. Serve as backup for payroll processing and journal entries.
18. Assist in the preparation of support documents for audits and monitoring visits.
19. Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a concentration in Accounting with a minimum of 4 years advanced level accounting or auditing experience. MIP or comparable accounting software experience required. Experience in a non-profit accounting environment for Federal/State, Grants and Contracts preferred.
Or, any combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
Skills & Qualifications
• Strong knowledge of accounting principles, practices and procedures
• Ability to prepare complex and detailed analysis of financial data
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Proficient in the use of electronic spreadsheets and computerized accounting systems
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff, subcontractors, vendors, and government agencies
• Strong attention to details and good organizational skills
What We Offer
Philadelphia Works offers qualifying full-time employees with a competitive benefits program including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), tuition assistance, life insurance, and disability. We also offer company-paid vacation, personal and sick leave days.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Philadelphia Works is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex (including sexual orientation, transgender status, and gender identity or expression), pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, sexual preference, political affiliation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws, in all matters pertaining to recruitment, selection, compensation, training, advancement and promotion, retention, discipline, and termination.