Title: Customer Support Associate
Position Reports: ReStore Manager
Location: Houston TX
Position: FULL TIME NON-EXEMPT
About Houston Habitat for Humanity
Committed to a world where everyone has a decent place to live, Houston Habitat for Humanity’s work includes new home construction, home rehabilitation and disaster repair, infrastructure development for new communities, neighborhood revitalization and guiding Houston families to become homeowners. Houston Habitat has built more than 1,200 homes in 12 Houston neighborhoods, including the Fifth Ward, Clinton Park, Settegast, Sunnyside, and Carverdale. In addition to building, the organization has also repaired homes throughout Houston due to natural disasters; since Hurricane Harvey Houston Habitat has repaired more than 700 homes for families who are without resources to make repairs.
The values that underpin and shape our work and approach are:
- Integrity. Do the right thing for the right reason, even when no one is around. Be honest in your words and actions.
- Respect. Be open, transparent, and inclusive. Listen without judgment. Treat others as they desire to be treated—value differences.
- Accountability. Honor commitments or communicate if you cannot do so. Own your words, actions, and results.
- Effective Communication. Communicate with empathy, clarity, and purpose. Practice active listening—listen to understand, not to respond. Ask clarifying questions to gain and confirm understanding. Create a space where it is safe to speak.
- Mission Driven. Be intentional in using knowledge, expertise, and influence to advocate for and advance the mission.
- Entrepreneurial Attitude. Be a lifelong learner open to personal and professional development. Seek continuous improvement and transformative change, embracing innovation, strategic thinking, and agile execution.
- Leadership Mindset. Be courageous. Serve first, empowering and uplifting others while demonstrating compassion and support. Create a joyful environment.
The ReStore Customer Support Associate is responsible for maximizing sales and providing excellent customer service while adhering to all organizational standards, policies, and procedures. This role serves as an ambassador to the Houston Habitat for Humanity mission. This team member schedules donations via our scheduling software and uploads inventory to our eCommerce storefronts. In addition, the position stocks merchandise, prices items to sell and keeps the store clean daily.
The employee must be able to perform the following job functions:
- Perform all duties with a positive attitude.
- Guarantee integrity and accurate cash handling.
- Understand policies and procedures for point of sale including safety, quality standards and proper customer service protocol.
- Applies the appropriate knowledge and expertise through ongoing learning and self-development.
- Ensure that movement of merchandise is done in a safe and effective manner.
- Embraces our learning culture to continuously improve existing skills while acquiring new ones in support of our customer obsession and advancing your contribution.
- Collect customer data, on receipts/other documents, as required by ReStore Manager
- Provide continuous Customer Obsession by: Greeting the customer with a smile, welcoming to the Houston ReStore. Closing each customer transaction with "Thank you for your purchase/donation at the Restore. Each purchase/donation strengthens our mission.
- Answer all phone calls within three rings with the following greeting" Thank you for calling the Houston Habitat Restore, my name is..., how can I assist you today."
Qualifications and Skills
- Be an ambassador of the Habitat Program
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Always presents a professional image.
- Strong organizational and clerical skills
- Mathematical and problem-solving skills
- Enthusiasm and commitment to always provide excellent customer service.
- Effective multi-tasking skills for a dynamic environment
- Attempt to quickly resolve any customer service/other issues that may arise. Immediately report issues requiring escalation to Management or designee
- Perform point of sale, sales floor and customer service duties
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. Responsibilities may require the ability to lift 40+ pounds, using proper safety equipment. Work may require climbing ladders, considerable standing, bending, kneeling and reaching awkward and tiring positions, especially at outreach events. Operation of equipment may be required at any time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties are performed in an indoors environment, however, on occasion the employee may have to help unload a truck or load a customer’s vehicle in an outdoor environment. Elements of an outdoor environment may include, but are not limited to, hot or cold temperatures, rain, and/or wind.
Houston Habitat for Humanity is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer