The Northside Achievement Zone (NAZ) is a bold and innovative collaborative effort to close the achievement gap in the geographic “Zone” of North Minneapolis. The purpose of our work is to end multigenerational poverty in our community, using education as a lever. We use a data-driven, evidence-based, achievement-focused model in which both children and their families move through a “cradle-to-career” ecosystem that provides comprehensive support. NAZ is a leading initiative in the national Promise Neighborhoods and cradle to college/career movement. As NAZ learns what works with families in North Minneapolis to address complex issues related to urban poverty, strategies are being set up for replication and informing the regional, state, and national field.
The Health Ways Manager will oversee Healthy Ways programming at a NAZ Anchor Partner site. They will supervise the Nutrition Educator, the Health Educator, and the Fitness Specialist (and/or contractors fulfilling these roles.) They will coordinate all Healthy Ways programming scheduling in collaboration with the Anchor Partner site. They will partner with the Anchor Site to ensure implementation of the Healthy Ways curriculum in a manner that is reflective of that organization’s approach and culture, while always ensuring the fidelity of the Healthy Ways program. This role will also serve as a liaison between Healthy Ways staff initiatives, led by the Senior Healthy Ways Manager, and the Anchor Partner Site’s staff, making sure they feel included and understand the role-modeling principles baked into the Healthy Ways curriculum.
- Implement and manage all Health Initiatives, including effective delivery of nutrition education and physical activity programming, parent programming, and behavior modification programming
- Oversee weekly nutrition education and daily fitness classes with NAZ scholars at their assigned Anchor Partner site.
- Oversees focused nutrition and fitness education classes for parents
- Ensure accurate data collection on scholar progress and coordinate with internal evaluation partners
- Create new partnerships with existing health and wellness programming in North Minneapolis to provide opportunities for NAZ families
- Maintain a strong relationship with the assigned NAZ Anchor Partner site.
- Support an annual Healthy Ways Health Fair for NAZ Families
- Support an annual Healthy Ways Health Fair for NAZ Staff and NAZ Pilot Partner Staff
- Supervise up to three direct reports and/or contractors fulfilling those roles
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition, Recreation, Exercise Physiology, or a related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Must be knowledgeable about nutrition, physical fitness, and wellness concepts
- Familiar with the emotional, social, and mental aspects of a healthy lifestyle, including the safety and overall well-being of individuals engaged in healthy eating/active living programs
- Experience working with youth and adolescent population
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
- Ability to work on a team and individually
- Comfortable working with outside community organizations and contracted program providers
- Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of populations served
- Must be able to work flexible hours and perform extensive field work
- Strong commitment to NAZ mission and goals, particularly the expectation that children growing up in North Minneapolis can succeed in academics and college
- This is a hybrid role, and the individual will complete a portion of their work onsite at NAZ Main Office or a Partner Site located in Minneapolis, MN
- Work includes frequent walking up and down stairs, lifting, sitting, and bending
- Regular operation of normal office machines (computer, copier, and fax) is required
- Occasional evenings and weekends are required for special events
- Limited travel may be required
BENEFITS: We offer a comprehensive Benefits Package, including Health, Dental, Vision, Disability & Life Insurance; Health or Flexible Spending Accounts; Lifestyle Spending Account; Retirement Plan; generous Paid Time Off; Support for Professional Development, and more!
Note: NAZ is a qualified employer under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)