TITLE: College Access Fellow, Napa
REPORTS TO: Program Manager, Napa
STATUS: Full-time, Non-Exempt
This job is ideally suited to recent college graduates.
On a Mission to Achieve Educational Equity
10,000 Degrees® is the leading, equity-focused scholarship provider and college success nonprofit in California. Since 1981, we’ve helped more than 20,000 students from low-income backgrounds achieve their college dreams, and today, we reach more than 12,000 students and families each year.
Our mission is to achieve educational equity and to support students from low-income backgrounds to and through college to realize their full potential and positively impact their communities and the world.
Never has this mission been more critical. The pandemic has multiplied the obstacles and uncertainty our students face. The opportunity gap has not narrowed but grown. Educational inequities and racial injustices continue to prevail. The demand for our support and resources has never been greater.
Through it all, our commitment to our students has never wavered. 10,000 Degrees won’t stop until all of our students get the support and resources they need to realize their full potential, and earn their degree.
Join us on our mission to achieve educational equity. Apply to work with our passionate team to make a difference and give back to your community.
This is an exciting time to join as we just updated our 5-year Strategic Plan, which calls for growth, investment and improvement of the services we offer our students and families.
Our Core Values
At 10,000 Degrees, our core values guide everything we do, from the way we deliver student support to how we structure our organizational systems to be mission-aligned.
- In the great potential of all students.
- Every student should have equitable opportunities to quality education and to graduate from college.
- All our students and alumni are changemakers.
- Students and their families, schools, and communities each play a critical role in educating our youth and strengthening our community's economic and social health.
- Educating all students to achieve their full potential is an urgent moral, social, and economic imperative.
- Education is the foundation of a just and equitable society.
The Opportunity & How You’ll Help Us Achieve Our Mission
The 10,000 Degrees Fellowship is an integral part of the 10,000 Degrees mission to support students from low-income backgrounds to and through college to positively impact their communities and the world. At 10,000 Degrees, we believe that education is the foundation of a just and equitable society. Students and their families, as well as schools and local leaders, each play a critical role in educating the next generation and strengthening the economic vitality and social health of our communities. The students we serve are 100% from low-income communities; 89% Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian Pacific Islander, and People of Color; and 85% first generation students.
Along with our Scholarship Program, 10,000 Degrees Fellows provide the most direct support to these students and families. Fellows assist students in accessing and succeeding in college and the workforce, applying for financial aid, facilitating college readiness and success workshops for students and families, and representing the organization alongside the development team at fundraising events. Fellows tend to be recent graduates, who have similar backgrounds as the students we serve.
10,000 Degree Fellowships are a 3-year commitment. During their tenure, Fellows complete an original Capstone project of their own design on a topic that connects their interests, aspirations, and work at 10,000 Degrees. Fellows also receive three years of continuing professional development to support their professional growth and career possibilities after the program.
This position will support our programming in the Napa Valley Unified School District.
- Provide guidance and assistance to students and their families regarding financial aid, college planning, and career planning.
- Deliver curriculum and training to students participating in 10,000 Degrees programs and their families.
- Directly manage an assigned caseload or targeted groups of students
- Be present for student outreach and engagement on the school campus 3-4 days a week
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with school personnel, community partners, and program participants, as well as families via meetings, workshops, and social media
- Participate in regular professional development activities, team work meetings, supervisorial weekly supervision meetings with staff, and special events and trainings (some of which are held in the evening)
- Maintain up-to-date, accurate files and data; generate program reports for analysis
- Regular travel within assigned regions to school campuses, 10,000 Degrees offices, and special event locations
- Support the Development Team and represent 10,000 Degrees at fundraising events
- Other duties as assigned
First, all 10,000 Degrees employees must embrace our vision of a world where all students, regardless of race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic background will have the full range of educational opportunities, support, and resources to realize their full potential.
For this position, we believe that you will be the most successful if you have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in a client- or student-serving position
Skills & Characteristics:
- Geographic proximity to the region being served
- Bilingual in Spanish and English Prefered
- First-generation college graduates from low-income backgrounds preferred
- Alumni of 10,000 Degrees scholarships preferred
- High level of professionalism: promptness, preparedness, professional appearance
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, Google applications, and Instagram
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and initiative and the ability to work independently
- Willing to learn and be self-reflective
- History of working effectively as part of a team
This position is currently a hybrid role AND you will be expected to have a significant in-person presence at school locations, and attend events in the office regularly.
Our Culture & Investment in You
We want you to feel proud being a part of the 10,000 Degrees team, because of the work that you do and the community we strive to be.
At 10,000 Degrees we are creating a more equitable, inclusive, anti-racist organization and a community where everyone belongs. We provide a comprehensive and generous benefits package, work schedule flexibility and a culture of care to promote job satisfaction, professional growth, and well-being. We are a collaborative, team-oriented and transparent organization that listens to our employees. 10,000 Degrees also supports you on your career journey by providing ongoing professional development opportunities, and giving you a clear path toward leadership pathways and advancement.
- This is a full-time position: $24.61 p/hour, 40 hours /week, 52 weeks /year
- The Fellowship is a 3-year position commitment
- Excellent health, dental, and vision benefits
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Dependent Care Account
- Commuter Benefits
- Company-sponsored Life Insurance
- 401(k) with employer contribution
- Employee Assistance Program through Concern Health
- 15 days paid vacation and generous paid sick leave
- 11 Holidays, in addition 10,000 Degrees is closed between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day.
- Professional development, including conferences, seminars, webinars, and trainings
Note: all applicants are required to submit a clear TB test and fingerprints as part of the background check, and Employment with 10,000 Degrees requires full vaccination and proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 before starting work. Exemptions to the mandatory vaccination policy may be available for a medical condition, disability, or sincerely held religious belief and must be approved before starting work.