Part-Time - 12 Month Position - 15-23 hours per week
Reports To: BAS Instructor and Cafe Coordinator
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Who We Are:
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School is a tuition-free, public charter high school, with a singular focus on supporting youth aged 17-20 who have been pushed out of traditional schools. During our 1-year alternative program, YouthBuild facilitates a warm, loving culture that uses a variety of structures to build community, such as a restorative-justice approach to discipline, weekly community meetings, and school-wide service projects. Students are empowered to attain their high school diploma and vocational certifications, while receiving unconditional support by the staff around them. At YouthBuild, we work intentionally to disrupt the cycle of poverty and support our students to achieve post-secondary success (4-year college, 2-year college, vocational training program, or liveable wage job). Visit https://www.youthbuildphilly.org/ to learn more.
The part time cafe barista is responsible for assisting the Cafe Shift Lead and BAS Instructor and Cafe Coordinator in maintaining a positive, welcoming cafe environment, which provides fast, efficient, and friendly service ensuring a total quality experience for both our customers and team members. The part time barista is a model of customer service, product knowledge and education, encouraging safe work practices, and a demonstrated commitment to our guiding principles and house rules at The Stomping Grounds Cafe.
Who You Are:
- You are invested in our core values - Respect, Excellence and Perseverance.
- You are equity-focused and believe that all students can achieve.
- You are passionate about community service and civic engagement.
- You are excited to mentor students and support them throughout their time at YouthBuild and beyond.
- You are collaborative and dedicated to personal and professional development.
- You have your high school diploma and 3 or more years of barista or cafe work experience, additional experience in a school setting and/or working with youth, preferred.
- You are flexible and can work weekends, evenings and holidays, as needed.
- You are proficient in using technology.
What You’ll Do:
- You will perform all point of service duties, front and back of house functions including opening and closing procedures.
- You will maintain a clean, organized and stocked environment.
- You will model professional behavior for students at all times, train students on basic coffee making /customer service skills and ensure that the cafe maintains high customer service standards.
- You will promote and practice safe work habits, reporting potential safety hazards, operational inconsistencies and incidents to the Cafe Shift Lead and BAS Instructor/Cafe Coordinator.
- You will follow all cafe drink recipes and procedures, maintaining the highest quality and consistent product standards.
- You will participate in a highly collaborative, fluid school culture that requires strong interpersonal skills and flexibility.
What We Offer You:
- Competitive hourly pay rate
- Supportive and collaborative work environment
- Strong community support and involvement