Skybound is seeking a proactive Accounting Manager to join our team. This individual will need to be well-rounded with strong mechanical and technical knowledge of accounting, excellent leadership skills and experience working with multiple entities. The ideal candidate will oversee the accounting staff, daily accounting functions, preparation and analysis of the company’s monthly GAAP financial close process, financial statements, management reporting and internal controls including process improvements. Additional emphasis will also be on being fully responsible for various external audits, quarterly and annual filings, and external reporting. The individual must be well organized, flexible, and extremely detail oriented.
We are looking for someone energetic, resourceful and results driven.
Reports: This position will report to the VP, Accounting
- Manage and mentor a remote team of accounting professionals. Provide guidance, support, and training to ensure the team's efficiency and growth. Oversee daily accounting functions.
- Responsible for overseeing month-end close process by reviewing relevant journal entries, investigating anomalies, performing P&L variance analysis, and reviewing month-end accruals.
- Maintain overall accuracy and integrity of the general ledger, and ensure financial statements follow US GAAP compliancy and organization policies.
- Continuously evaluate and enhance accounting processes, systems, and controls to increase efficiency, accuracy, and overall effectiveness.
- Monitor actual performance against budgets and forecasts and provide variance analysis.
- Responsible for reviewing and ensuring accuracy of the fixed asset schedule, including monthly depreciation.
- Responsible for full review of lease accounting and disclosure reporting (in accordance with ASC 842).
- Lead and manage company ancillary audits, including tax audits, workers' compensation audits, union audits, and third-party audits. Coordinate with auditors and internal teams to ensure timely and accurate completion of audit requirements.
- Work closely with tax advisors to develop and implement tax strategies that optimize the company's tax position. Ensure compliance with tax regulations and timely filing of tax returns.
- Review and file monthly, quarterly, and annual sales/use tax returns.
- Ensure compliance with state and local sales and use tax laws and regulations.
- Review and file state income & sales tax audits.
- Review and file city business tax & property tax reports.
- Work with CPA firm to meet tax deadlines and estimates.
- Assist VP Accounting in any special projects.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field; Master's degree and/or CPA preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in accounting, with a strong preference for prior experience in public accounting.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines in a remote work environment.
- Technical accounting knowledge with an understanding of US GAAP and ASC 606.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities, especially in remote work settings.
- Leadership experience and a proven track record of successfully managing staff.
- Prior experience handling company audits, including tax, workers' compensation, third party, and financial audits.
- A proactive, self-directed approach with the ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to leverage technology for efficient data gathering and analysis.
- Ability to manage deadlines and accurately process data under time limited restraints.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills for management of staff and interacting with other departments, vendors, and upper management.
- Experience with ERP systems, specifically Sage Intacct and Netsuite, a plus.
- Ability to pivot and prioritize work.
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time
Salary Range: $110,000 - $125,000
- Actual base salary is dependent on several factors including but not limited to; market dynamics, location and region, experience, specialized skills/training (education), level of responsibility, budgetary considerations, tenure at the company (for current employees), etc.
- The salary range listed is just one component of the total compensation package for employees.
- Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each role.
Skybound offers a wide array of benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, as well as free counseling through our Employee Assistance Program (EAP). We also offer a 401K plan with 4% match, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, generous time off, wellness benefits, and tuition reimbursement. This role may also qualify for a possible discretionary bonus annually.
Skybound is a multiplatform content company working closely with creators and their intellectual properties, extending stories and universes to new platforms, including comics, television, film, tabletop and video games, books, digital content, events, and beyond. We are home to critically-acclaimed global franchises, including The Walking Dead and Invincible.
Skybound Games produces, publishes and distributes video and tabletop games across all genres, including the multi-million-unit selling The Walking Dead video game series. In addition to our wholly-owned franchises, we work with independent developers to foster and create original games with compelling characters and worlds, strong creator and artistic focus, and innovative approaches to engaging genres.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Skybound we value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! Skybound is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, hair texture or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Skybound complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination.
Skybound will consider applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the CA Fair Chance Act and Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.