About Canal Alliance
Canal Alliance exists to break the generational cycle of poverty for Latino immigrants and their families by lifting barriers to their success. We are a nonprofit champion of immigrants who are challenged by a lack of resources and an unfamiliar environment.
Canal Alliance seeks a talented candidate to join the Development team, which is responsible for securing approximately $13 million in annual revenue to support agency goals and programs. The Development Associate is a full-time, non-exempt position that serves as a key member of the Individual Giving Team, responsible for meeting annual goals for fundraising and donor engagement. This position reports directly to the Individual Giving Manager and is primarily responsible for supporting all aspects of the day-to-day and annual activities to build relationships and secure funds from individual donors and faith groups, service clubs, schools, community groups, and small businesses. Primary tasks include donor stewardship and engagement, project management, coordinating the Aliados recurring giving program, coordinating donor cultivation and fundraising events, responding to donor inquiries by phone and email, calling and emailing donors to acknowledge gift receipt and convey giving impact, and providing administrative and data management support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Donor Stewardship and Engagement – 60%
- Assist with the development and implementation of donor stewardship/engagement plans for donors giving up to $5,000 annually.
- Manage a small portfolio of donors identified as upgrade prospects.
- Coordinate the Aliados recurring giving program, including managing donor communications, acknowledging gifts, managing recurring plans and data in Classy and Salesforce, tracking and reporting on Aliados results, and communicating directly with members of the Aliados.
- Coordinate In Kind giving: communicate with program staff to identify needs, and handle solicitation, collection, and acknowledgment of gifts.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of donor events, including preparing event communications and supporting effective follow-up and acknowledgment activities.
- Serve as the department’s initial point of donor and prospect contact by responding in a timely manner to donor inquiries through telephone, written correspondence, and personal contact.
- Conduct donor interviews for spotlights in Canal Alliance communications.
- Support department efforts to acknowledge and steward donors by making direct calls and sending emails to donors to acknowledge gifts and convey the impact of a donor’s giving. Coordinate with the Engagement & Stewardship Manager on these efforts, as appropriate.
- Serve as an ambassador for the organization by engaging the public as possible donors and volunteers when representing Canal Alliance and tabling at events hosted by partner agencies, schools, faith groups, service clubs and other community groups.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Data Management and Gift Acknowledgement – 25%
- Use Salesforce database for tracking, monitoring, analyzing and reporting on donor, campaign and gift information, and fundraising analysis and results.
- Support donor stewardship efforts by entering notes about donor conversations in Salesforce.
- Provide back-up data entry and gift acknowledgment support to the Development Assistant for donor records and donations, as needed.
- Draft acknowledgment letters for direct mail campaigns, and create templates for email acknowledgments.
- Write and mail personalized cards and notes to donors.
- Support the timely mailing of acknowledgment letters to all donors.
Administrative Support – 15%
- Provide project management support for direct mail program and other projects, including keeping calendars and helping team members stay on track with deadlines.
- Manage in-house printing and mailing projects.
- Recruit and support Development volunteers to assist with fundraising activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to engage individuals and groups.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, with the ability to think strategically, creatively problem solve, and exercise good judgment.
- Data literacy skills, with competence in finding, manipulating, managing, and interpreting data.
- Good writing and editing skills.
- Proven ability to work within dynamic teams and build strong relationships with colleagues, and the ability to interact and work effectively with Directors, Board members, front-line staff, donors, community leaders, public officials, funding agencies, businesses, and clients.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, handle multiple tasks, and manage demanding situations effectively, while showing initiative and being anticipatory rather than reactive.
- Effective time management and work organization skills, with a high attention to detail.
- Excellent computer and technology skills, including facility with internet navigation, databases, and Microsoft Office suite.
- Commitment to fundraising ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor information.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Minimum of one year of experience in a related position.
- Knowledge of Latino, immigrant, or low-income communities.
- Knowledge of the basic principles and practices of fundraising.
- Experience with fundraising in a non-profit organization.
- Experience in data entry and analysis, especially using Salesforce or similar CRM.
- Bilingual/biliterate (English/Spanish).
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with benefits. We offer a competitive salary of $29/hr with a benefits package that includes:
- 3 weeks paid vacation per year
- 12 days of sick leave per year
- 4 Wellness Days per year (one per quarter)
- Paid Birthday each year
- 16 paid holidays per year
- 100% paid employee medical & dental insurance, life insurance, LTD, and EAP.
- 403(b)-retirement plan with employer match of up to 4% after 3 months of employment.
- Voluntary benefits include FSA, vision, life, and pet insurance, as well as coverage for dependents.
- Telehealth for physical and mental health
This is a hybrid position, with 1-2 days per week in the office.
Canal Alliance Equity and Inclusion Statement
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities represented among our diverse employees. By appreciating the importance of inclusion, we acknowledge that the collective and individual talents, skills, and perspectives of our staff foster a culture of belonging, safety, collaborative practice, innovation, and mutual respect. Canal Alliance is committed to the transformation of attitudes and systems that deprive any person or group of these principals.
Please email your resume and cover letter to HR@canalalliance.org. Only electronic applications will be accepted. (Keep it green!) Please indicate “Development Associate – YOUR NAME” in the subject line of your email.