Director of People & Culture
Location: Minneapolis, MN or Washington D.C. or Remote
The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Director of People & Culture. The Director of People & Culture is responsible for both HR-related topics as well as big-picture strategy for building a strong organizational culture. The Director of People & Culture will guide BGA through a period of rapid growth and pressing opportunity, while fostering and building on the organization's values. Through implementing processes, tools, training, and policies, you will ensure BGA staff have the structure and vision to grow and thrive.
The BGA is a powerful and unified voice for building an economy that addresses climate change, protects the health of people and the environment, eliminates income and racial disparities, and creates and maintains good-paying, union jobs in communities across the country. BGA brings together labor unions and environmental organizations—representing millions of members and supporters—around a shared agenda and enacts change by advocating at the state and federal level; providing education and engaging union members and environmentalists; and communicating the benefits of this shared agenda for working people, their families, and their communities.
This position reports to the Vice President of Finance, Administration & DEIJ. This is a remote position, with the option to work in either the Minneapolis, MN, or Washington, D.C. office.
The Director of People & Culture will:
- Manage all human resources related operations, including performance management, recruitment and onboarding, learning and development initiatives, employment policy implementation, personnel recordkeeping, and more.
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal regulations and develop and implement policies, processes, training, and initiatives to support human resource compliance.
- Work closely with BGA’s Finance Team to provide excellent benefits administration experience to all staff.
- Work closely with BGA leadership to create a culture of belonging, identify and address gaps in learning and development, and implement initiatives to boost organizational culture.
- Lead hiring efforts to find talent with expertise and mission alignment and oversee onboarding for new staff.
- Implement and refine BGA’s approach to performance management and multi-directional feedback for managers and all staff.
- Expand on BGA’s learning and development offerings to provide staff with opportunities to grow in line with their career.
- Work with BGA leadership to further articulate BGA’s approach to DEIJ both internally and programmatically and infuse the approach into all facets of the organization.
- Ensure BGA’s People Operations practices and policies are values-aligned and reflect best practices in the field.
- 8+ years of experience in human resources, including experience in organizational leadership.
- 3+ years of experience in organizations with union represented employees, including contract management and application.
- Demonstrated leadership experience and understanding of organizational change management.
- Experience working on issues pertaining to the entire employee lifecycle, including recruitment, onboarding, performance management, promotions, and separation.
- Sound judgment, project management skills, and conflict resolutions skills.
- Strong commitment to economic, racial, and environmental justice, and deep commitment to the mission of BGA.
- Familiarity with employment law and the ability to apply this knowledge in support of organizational policies and initiatives.
- Experience designing and administering staff training sessions, manager coaching, leadership development, and/or mentoring programs.
- Experience in Bargaining Unit contract management and application.
- Experience centering employee experience at an organization that has scaled quickly.
- Experience with Paylocity HRIS.
Skills, & Abilities:
- Adaptable, flexible approach to project management, with ability to prioritize and execute work independently.
- Curiosity and interest in staying up to date with people operations best practices.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills across audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to foster cross-team coordination and collaboration.
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee and family;
- Employer-paid Life, Short Term and Long-Term Disability for employees;
- Monthly Cell phone reimbursement;
- 15 days vacation, 10 days sick, and 17 paid holidays to start;
- Access to health care and dependent care FSA accounts;
- 4% 401k Employer contribution.
Job Information: Salary range, $105,000 - $115,000 annually, exempt.
The position may be based in Minneapolis or D.C. Occasional travel may be required, not exceeding 10% of work time.
How to Apply: Apply at https://www.bluegreenalliance.org/careers/ Position open until filled. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy and related conditions, sexual or gender identity, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.