Compensation: $100,000 - $115,000 annual
Benefits: Medical HMO, dental and vision insurance is free for employees!! PTO accrual of 22 days during your first year of employment, 11 paid holidays, 2 personal holidays and sick time for all full-time employees.
Everyone has the right to a quality, affordable home. At Community Roots Housing, this truth drives our work. By embracing community-led development and engaging in deep-rooted partnerships, we’re fostering vibrant, equitable communities where everyone has access to safe, affordable and welcoming homes. Today, nearly 50 apartment buildings – over 2,000 residents -- we continue our commitment to build community with and for people. We are a top performing, high-capacity not-for-profit corporation with an innovative portfolio throughout the Seattle area. Our buildings have won numerous awards from HUD, Urban Land Institute, Affordable Housing Finance Magazine, Future wise and other community development awards.
We are intentional in our hiring processes, seeing it as a chance to interrupt the cycle of racial and economic injustice that limits communities from accessing employment, building skills and investing in their own leadership development. We prioritize applicants who have firsthand experience in navigating the many systems that our residents face which impede their opportunities for success, as majority low-income, LGBTQ, and people of color.
Community Roots Housing is looking for a Controller to support our Finance department. The Controller is responsible for ensuring our financial reporting is maintained in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), while also meeting internal managerial accounting needs. The Controller reports to the CFO/VP of Finance and supervises the portfolio operations accounting manager, the real estate development accounting manager, and the payroll administrator. The Controller is expected to ensure a high level of service to stakeholders, providing responsive and proactive communication, while also ensuring compliance with policies and internal control procedures. This position must maintain a high level of confidentiality.
This position can be in person, hybrid, or remote, but must be able to work well with remote team members.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and participate in the operations of the Finance department
- Lead the month-end and year-end close process, preparing complex entries and providing review and approval of journal entries
- End to end accounting for first year of new buildings and any complex entities, generally keeping a portfolio of up to 5 buildings
- Assist with real estate development accounting and reporting
- Work with VP of Finance to research, document, and implement changes
- Ensure backup coverage for all critical functions
- Develop and maintain expertise on CRH accounting structure and the flow of accounting data among various systems and financial reports
- Maintain Abila accounting system, including the chart of accounts
- Understand data flow from separate subledger systems and oversee configuration of system mapping and integrations (RealPage, Paylocity, etc.)
- Assist VP of Finance with preparation and monitoring of budgets and cash projections
- Prepare consolidated monthly financial reports, and assist VP of Finance with budget variance analysis for presentation to the board of directors
- Monitor cash projection assumptions and track infrequent transactions
- Oversee and participate in external financial report completion, including all financial statement audits, State accountability audit, tax returns, and ad-hoc requests
- Lead for annual consolidated financial statement audit, including closing entries, eliminations, and preparation of support schedules for footnotes
- Assist with timely completion of annual State and City reporting, with unique presentation and submission requirements
- Ensure timely property distributions of positive cash flows as outlined in various agreements
- Administer online banking access and permissions, and ensure appropriate internal controls for banking transactions
- Review and release weekly vendor ACH batch, dual control for wires, and processing bank transfers as needed
- Lead renewals for short term borrowing and lines of credit
- Oversee the payroll function, providing review and approval for bi-weekly payroll processed by the payroll administrator
- Supervise and develop team members, contributing to the goals of the organization and quarterly and annual team goals
- Other projects and duties as assigned
- Supervises two accounting managers and the payroll administrator
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Six years of accounting experience utilizing US generally accepted accounting principles, and demonstrating progressive responsibility and leadership; including management and supervisory skills
- Experience with multifamily real estate
- Proficient oral and written communications skills in English
- Strong presentation skills in all settings, including remote, hybrid, and in-person
- Ability to lead collaboratively, incorporating the organization’s mission and values to identify and solve problems
- Strong change management and project management skills, within the scope of financial accounting, reporting, and banking
- Ability to work independently and provide excellent supervision and management service to team members
- Expertise with a variety of software, including accounting systems, business applications (Excel, Outlook), and remote meeting applications
- CPA or CMA preferred
- Experience with affordable housing, HUD and LIHTC
- Familiarity with both FASB and GASB accounting requirements
- Experience with accounting for multiple entities and funds, including consolidation and interfund transactions
- Experience participating in financial statement audits
- Knowledge of Abila MIP and Concur software a plus
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Community Roots Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates of color, LGBTQ candidates, women, candidates with disabilities and candidates of all religions and national origins are strongly encouraged to apply. Community Roots Housing is a “Ban the Box” employer. However, per Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development requirements, any candidate selected for this position must undergo a criminal history background check prior to employment.