Full time- Non-Exempt/Hourly
- $1,500 Sign-on Bonus
- Housing Resources Available
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Benefits include: Health; Dental; Vision; Life and Disability Insurance; Employer-Matching 403B; Sick/Personal/Vacation Time; Flexible Spending and Dependent Care
ASL proficiency required
TLC Diversity Statement:
The Learning Center for the Deaf is on a journey to create an inclusive and welcoming space for people of all backgrounds. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates our TLC community members' diverse narratives. We embrace and value multiple approaches, experiences, and perspectives. TLC believes that diversity fosters innovation. We are committed to cultivating a place where everyone can feel they belong.
About Walden School:
Walden School is a nationally-recognized residential therapeutic and education program for deaf children and youth ages 8 to 22 who have often experienced significant adverse childhood events as well as language deprivation.
The Learning Center for the Deaf is a nationally-recognized leader of services for deaf and hard of hearing children, adults and families. To learn more, click here.
For our Mission, click here.
Day Child Care Workers function as classroom assistants when school is in session, and move to the dorm when school is not in session. The person filling this position will provide for the instructional needs of students and with additional needs that arise in the classroom. Primary responsibilities include assisting the teacher with planning and implementing academic tasks, as well as working with specialists to create a highly structured environment conducive to learning.
Classroom Assistants provide direct supervision and monitoring of students and work on an individual or small group basis. Classroom assistants also act as Child Care Workers during non-school days and are always responsible for implementing treatment plans and for the direct care and safety of the students residing at Walden School.
FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES ON SCHOOL DAYS
- Participate fully in all classroom activities and student assignments. Attend and participate in required meetings, completing assigned report writing tasks in a timely manner, and communicate with members of the students’ multidisciplinary team.
- Assists teachers in preparation of instructional materials and classroom visuals for student and instructor use and assumes responsibility and instructions of students in the absence of the classroom teacher
- Participates in direct service planning and lesson planning with Classroom Teacher and/or in a team approach.
- During academic and/or social-recreational activities or lessons, support the students by providing individual assistance as needed and guide behavior support plans under the direction of the teacher.
- Supervise students during transition times.
FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES ON NON-SCHOOL DAYS
- Assist with the planning of structured and age appropriate activities and outings during vacation days.
- Supervise students in daily routines and assist with the activities of daily living skills.
- Support and assist students using therapeutic interventions consistent with the treatment model at Walden School.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- A minimum of a High School diploma; college degree is preferred
- Must be ASL Proficient Must be able to work in conjunction with classroom teachers on daily instruction and work effectively as part of an educational team
- Prior experience working with children preferred
- Drivers license and a driving record in good standing