Skybound is looking for a creative, strategic, detail-oriented Editor to acquire and edit comic books across multiple genres. This position will be responsible for acquiring and developing creators/books, as well as working with the editorial, design, publicity, and marketing teams to develop the publishing strategy.
Reports: This position will report to the Publisher
Responsibilities: Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with writers and artists to acquire titles with the correct editorial fit for the publishing strategy
- Read submissions, respond to writers/artists/agents, present projects, negotiate contracts, and monitor payments to authors
- Perform all editorial functions when appropriate, including reading and evaluating proposals, providing revisions to authors, and line editing
- Work closely with creators and internal team to maintain publication schedules and due dates
- Write sales copy for internal positioning and out-of-house product descriptions
- Keep up to date on competitive marketplace, both print and digital
- Demonstrate and strive for continued innovation, creativity, consumer and competitive insights
- Collaborate with team as needed to support imprint strategy and growth, and Kickstarters
- Provide editorial input into packaging design and copy to ensure key selling features are reflected in the book package
- Bachelor’s degree, with 2-4 years’ progressive editorial and acquisitions experience in comic book industry
- Experience editing comic books and extensive knowledge of the comic book marketplace
- Knowledge of art, ability to discuss composition, color, and design required
- Strong communication and editorial skills
- Experience finding, editing, and cultivating key creators
- Strong project management, planning and organizing, teamwork and collaboration, negotiation skills, and a drive for results
- Good relationships with creators and agents
- High level of creativity/innovation, functional/technical knowledge
- Travel: Domestic travel – occasional
Job Type: Regular, Full-time
Salary Range: $64,480-$70,000
- Actual base salary is dependent on several factors including but not limited to; market dynamics, location and region, experience, specialized skills/training (education), level of responsibility, budgetary considerations, tenure at the company (for current employees), etc
- The salary range listed is just one component of the total compensation package for employees
- Compensation decisions are dependent on circumstances of each role
Skybound offers a wide array of benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, as well as free counseling through our Employee Assistance Program (EAP). We also offer a 401K plan with 4% match, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, generous time off, wellness benefits, and tuition reimbursement.
Skybound is a multiplatform content company working closely with creators and their intellectual properties, extending stories and universes to new platforms, including comics, television, film, tabletop and video games, books, digital content, events, and beyond. We are home to critically-acclaimed global franchises, including The Walking Dead and Invincible.
Skybound Games produces, publishes and distributes video and tabletop games across all genres, including the multi-million-unit selling The Walking Dead video game series. In addition to our wholly-owned franchises, we work with independent developers to foster and create original games with compelling characters and worlds, strong creator and artistic focus, and innovative approaches to engaging genres.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Skybound we value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! Skybound is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, hair texture or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Skybound complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination.
Skybound will consider applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the CA Fair Chance Act and Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.