The Miami Foundation builds the philanthropic, civic, and leadership backbone for Greater Miami. Since 1967, the Foundation has invested over half a billion dollars to strengthen our community with partnerships and contributions from more than 1000 fundholders and 35,000 donors. The Miami Foundation, which currently manages over $425 million in assets, mobilizes donors, nonprofits, leaders, and locals to set a bold vision for our community's future and to invest in a stronger, more equitable, more resilient Greater Miami.
The Communications Assistant helps implement The Foundation’s external and internal communications strategy and objectives. In this role, you will maintain and update websites and web platforms, support event planning and logistics, and provide critical administrative and project support to department and Foundation colleagues. The position reports to the Director of Communications.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner with the Foundation’s web development agency to update and maintain the Foundation’s web platforms and websites, including creating new pages/sections and uploading blog posts and documents.
- Assist with content development for MiamiFoundation.org.
Events - Support the planning, execution and logistics for all Foundation events involving external audiences, including development and production of invitations, guest lists, speakers/presentations, signage, vendor contracts, on-site support, catering, walk-throughs and any other needs.
- Process invoices, coordinate the department’s weekly production schedule and the Foundation’s Communications calendar.
- Contribute to inter-department projects and handle department related tasks related to Give Miami Day and other Foundation’s initiatives and programs.
- Contribute to social media content development and be responsible for posting, scheduling and community management on social media platforms used by the Foundation
- Serve as point of contact for all emails sent through Constant Contact, lay out drafts and submit for approval to responsible departments/manager
- Coordinate graphic design projects, media relations needs, and scheduling and other tasks between the Communications team and the Foundation’s external communications agency of record and social media partners.
- Stay up to date on philanthropy and community issues, as well as marketing and communications industry developments.
- Provide outstanding customer service to internal and external audiences.
- Serve as liaison between Foundation departments and the Foundation’s agency of record to ensure proper flow of information and communication.
- Strong organizational, project management and event planning skills
- Ability to complete simple graphic design and/or video production and editing tasks a plus
- Good writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Working knowledge of AP Style writing guidelines and journalistic and/or PR/promotional copywriting
- Active knowledge of effective social networking content and strategies
- Ability to research topics, gather information from multiple sources and synthesize into cohesive written pieces
- Working knowledge of WordPress and/or website content management system tools
- Good computer skills including Microsoft Office programs and Constant Contact or other email management platforms
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and conduct oneself with professionalism
- Capable of working independently, with ability to take initiative, as well as be part of a team
- Ability to organize, prioritize and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work as a team player with diverse groups of people
- Sense of humor, creativity and an appreciation of the role of philanthropy in building our community.
- Highly motivated, action-oriented self-starter with strong organizational skills, especially planning and coordination.
- High level of integrity, professional maturity and sound judgment.
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism or a related field.
- At least 1-2 years of internships or work in communications, community engagement, marketing–related functions and/or the nonprofit sector.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel as well as other Office suite applications (e.g., Word and Outlook).
- Experience with Canva and Website CRM.
This list of essential responsibilities and requirements is not intended to be exhaustive. The Miami Foundation reserves the right to revise this job description as needed to comply with actual job requirements.