The Controller directs strategy, operations, and oversight of finance, tax, accounting, audit, and general administrative functions of the organization in consultation with the President and/or Chief Financial Officer. Supports the senior leadership team and advises and participates in setting overall company strategy, policy, and direction involving the finance, accounting, insurance, and planning functions. Ensures financial and management reporting in support of the organization’s operations and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in the United States (“GAAP”), tax, and regulatory organizations that are applicable to the organization and in accordance with financial management techniques and practices appropriate within the industry.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities: include but are not limited to the following:
- Planning, developing, organizing, implementing, directing, and evaluating the organization's accounting, finance, tax, risk management, and audit functions and their performance
- Hire, train, develop, coach, and lead best in class accounting and administrative team with a focus on Company values and foster a service mindset, that is, delivering department services and support with a perspective that leadership and the team are customers.
- Participating in the development of the organization’s plans and programs as a strategic partner and member of the senior leadership team
- Evaluating and advising on the impact of long-range planning; introduction of new programs/strategies; significant initiatives, capital expenditures, and contracts; and regulatory actions
- Developing credibility for the finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial, and management reports, and financial trends in support of the President, the Board, and other senior executives in achieving their objectives and meeting their responsibilities
- Developing, enhancing, implementing, improving, the effectiveness of policies, procedures, systems, and processes of the organization to ensure an efficient operation and that enhances the organization’s effectiveness
- Design, implementation, and responsibility for effectiveness and documentation of the organization’s financial internal control structure and advise Leadership in finance, human resource, and risk management functions
- Establishing credibility throughout the organization and with the Board as an effective leader and forward-looking developer of solutions to business challenges
- Providing technical financial expertise and knowledge to others within the organization
- Oversight, management, and effectiveness of the budgeting and long-range financial planning process
- Providing strategic financial input and leadership on issues and initiatives affecting the organization (e.g., strategic planning, expansion opportunities, evaluation of potential alliances, acquisitions, capital actions, lending relationships, etc.)
- Optimizing the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position while meeting risk management objectives. This includes management and accounting for trust and related deposit relationships in a safe and sound manner while meeting applicable regulatory requirements and industry best practice
- Coordinate with the Vice President of Escrow Operations to develop and effective implementation of industry best practices for escrow/trust accounting, including, but not limited to opening and administering trust accounts, wire transfer operations, daily and monthly bank reconciliation and implementation of strong internal controls related to these activities.
- Advising on any material contracts into which the Company may enter
- Evaluate and recommend insurance coverage and effectively manage the insurance program and renewals to ensure adequate coverages are maintained
- Evaluating the departmental structure and team and support planning for improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas supervised while providing team members with professional and personal growth opportunities
- Maintaining corporate records ensuring they are adequately maintained, including board and committee minutes
- Performing other work-related duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements
- Energetic, forward-thinking, and creative individual with high ethical standards, an appropriate professional image, and strong technical skills, judgment, and a sense of urgency
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in successful development and execution in finance and accounting with financial leadership and supervision in a related industry and/or in public accounting
- Preferred B.S. (or higher) degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- CPA designation a plus
- Strong oral and written communications skills. Ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Ability to effectively manage multiple problems and tasks concurrently
- Even disposition and maintains a sense of humor under difficult circumstances
- Ability to view new situations and problems positively and as an opportunity to learn something new and contribute to the success of the teamRespond to constructive criticism and coaching without allowing emotions to come into play.
- Sit for prolonged periods
- Use hands and/or fingers to pick up, grasp, and sort
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Specific vision abilities include close and peripheral vision and the ability to focus and identify/distinguish colors
This position requires the ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents related to business, accounting and business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, business plans, as well as governmental regulations related to the industry. The ability to communicate in writing and orally in an effective manner is necessary. It is also necessary to effectively present information and respond to questions from group of leaders, customers, shareholders, vendors, members of the press, and the public.
Ability to work with basic mathematical concepts of basic algebra, statistics, discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, statistics and percentages. The ability to apply concepts us as fractions, percentages, ratios, proportions, and probability to practical situations and forecasts.
Proficiency in the use of the following or similar software programs including Excel, and Word, PowerPoint. Experience with Paylocity and Quickbooks Online and/or ERP systems in an enterprise environment. Likewise, the ability to use a personal computer, multi-line phone system, copy/fax/scanning machines, and printers. Basic typing skills are also important.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Additionally, travel to branch, customer, vendor, or event locations are required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.